Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anonymous4a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
hey guys, I'm wondering which browser is best for battery life when on mac os x. Assuming that all browsers are running the same tasks.. I heard that internet explorer 8 is the best for battery on windows but how about on the mac

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
hey guys, I'm wondering which browser is best for battery life when on mac os x. Assuming that all browsers are running the same tasks.. I heard that internet explorer 8 is the best for battery on windows but how about on the mac
There's not enough difference between browsers to worry about, if they're doing the same things. There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:

wytwolf

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2012
I read that Chrome was more likely to active the dedicated video cards in BMP. Not sure if that's been updated since, obviously that would have a major impact in battery life. Other then that i guess your simple talking about minor differences between browsers, ie maybe 6:56 vs. 7hr

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
Safari used to be best in OSX and IE in Windows.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2834
Safari for Windows is just crap software. There is no sane reason to use it other than it looks the same.
I don't know of any newer tests. The most comprehensive browser benchmarks can be found on tomshardwareguide but even they don't test battery life.

In OSX Safari often used to be best.

Generally most important is that you force the Intel GPU and run some Flash block and adblock software. All the blinking nonsense really eats battery life. The choice of the browser is usually secondary.

borisiii

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Safari is designed by apple to work perfectly with the hardware, so it's optimised in every possible way.

The difference probably won't be big, but I imagine you will see slightly less battery with other browsers. However, if you have a 15"/17" and use chrome, your battery will be about halved because it forces the discrete graphics card.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Safari used to be the best? so what is the best right now ?
There is no "best". Just use whichever browser you prefer. The choice makes little impact on battery life. For browsing, Flash content is one of the major impacts on battery life, no matter which browser you use. For Flash-related issues:
  • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
  • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
  • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) Some have reported better performance with HTML5, while some have reported worse. Try it and find out what works best for you.
There are other factors that will affect battery life much more than which browser you use. For details, read the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the Battery FAQ, as I recommended earlier.

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
As noted above, turning off Flash will give you better battery life--notice how hot the laptop gets from running Flash? Need more power = get hot laptop? Guess what that does to your battery?

Macloven

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
I prefer to use Firefox, but the battery on my rmbp burns faster on it (and runs warmer). Looking at system resources, and lower with safari as is battery use. But I still use firefox anyways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.