which internet is better PSP or Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kingballin20, Sep 30, 2008.

1. kingballin20 macrumors regular

kingballin20

like which goes farther/has better reception and which is just overall bettter:D:D:D

2. Olleh macrumors member

I can't believe you asked that on "MacRumors"... this forum is obviously going to be filled with :apple:-bias people, what do you think? :p

I've had both products, used the internet on both, and i'd definatley choose a Touch over a PSP anyday. It's extremely fluid and fun to use.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

the ipt no question. gaming though is tons better on psp obviously

4. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

I have a psp and use the internet a lot, seems to be ok.

Connectivity is really good, can be slow loading up pages but overall ok

Only tried touch once and thats great too!

Probley touch more than psp

Mat

5. kingballin20 thread starter macrumors regular

kingballin20

which internet goes farther? like can connect farther away better

6. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Perhaps it is the wording but I find your question, hard to understand.

As far as WIFI range, the iPod touch has a bit less range than a Macbook or Macbook pro when it comes to transmit power to the WIFI base station. Overall they can get great signal in an office, or home environment, and can connect to a good base from a respectable range for a handheld device.

I have no experience with the PSP, however it's plastic case may give it a slight advantage for radio reception.

[​IMG]

7. 11800506 macrumors 65816

The PSP is not great at all when it comes to web browsing. The range that both the PSP and iPod touch have are both similar, but the iPod touch's interface and browser just make it a lot nicer to use the internet. If you are basing your decision solely on internet capabilities, don't get a PSP.

8. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

does the PSP support flash?

that could be a big factor for some people

9. kingballin20 thread starter macrumors regular

kingballin20

yes it does

10. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

I got a PSP primarily to use for internet access, it worked fine but not very user friendly.

Once I got the Ipod Touch I have not used the PSP for web browsing at all.

My observation is that they have about the same reception capabilities but the Ipod is so much easier to use

Eric

11. i-Want-Apples macrumors regular

In my opinion there are two ways the answer to this question can go:

In terms of speed, getting around, ease of use, etc, the winner is: iPod Touch, by a long shot in my opinion. The internet is much faster on the iPod than the PSP, it is easy to navigate (main reason being the touch screen, I think) and overall I think it is just a lot better browser to use. With the PSP it can take so long loading the pages sometimes that I would rather just pull out my laptop and get where I need to go quickly. With the iPod it is quick enough and easy enough that I have found I didn't even turn my laptops on this weekend because I could do my normal weekend browsing on my Touch.

In terms of connecting, the winner is: PSP. I have had a lot of problems connecting to the internet. When I first got it on Friday I was shocked because the internet worked so well. Anytime I wanted to get online, or check my mail, the weather, etc. it was right there and updated. I never had a problem connecting or anything, it worked as well as my Blackberry, where I have internet just about anywhere with my cell phone plan, but obviously I wouldn't have as many places I could connect. But I quickly learned how fast the battery was draining while using apps, internet, etc. I remembered reading on the forums that turning the wifi off really helps to conserve the battery, so I went ahead and turned it off, thinking whenever I planned to get online I would just flip it back on, not a problem. However, after doing this a time or two I began noticing the issues. Every time I turn off the internet, it can take several attempts and sometimes I cannot even get reconnected to the internet. It will show that I am conncected to my internet and everything, but when I go to check the weather, it says update failed (also does this with stocks) when I check my e-mail it just keep spinning and then says it failed, safari won't open pages and says it is not connected to the internet. Sometimes it will start working after I try a few times, other times I will have to wait and go back to try and get online. Not sure if this is just a problem with mine, but it has become a bit of a pain.

If it weren't for the latter issue, then the iPod Touch would win hands down, in my eyes, but since I've never had an issue connecting to my internet on the PSP, it gains some points there.

12. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

For sheer usability (interface), I'd have to side with the Touch as well. If my wife hogs my MBP, and I want to check something, I reach for her Touch.

Also, I find the game load times on the PSP so slow, that I'd have to be desperate to quit'n'surf.

13. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

psp wifi is like hell. signal range is really sucks. give up using wifi in public with psp. it is just slower, makes me angry. just play a game.

14. jumbalaya3 macrumors newbie

15. jrok18 macrumors regular

I don't even think the ipod touch is in the same category as the psp.The PSP was unbearable to use the internet on. Also it would always lose connection. So the touch wins by a landslide .

16. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

The PSP browser is pretty ugly, Safari looks nice. However, the PSP and iPod touch are aimed at totally different markets. The PSP is more for hardcore gamers, while the iPod is primarily for music.

17. Ezra12 macrumors member

Touch of course... Beats psp anyday :p :rolleyes:

18. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

psp wifi is crappy. it always disconnects and takes forever to load page. you can only have 4 tabs open at once too. ipod touch internet is much more natural with gestures.