iPad Which iOS for iPad 3 (to sell)?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by daveb99, Nov 3, 2013.

1. daveb99 macrumors member

I'm selling my iPad 3 now I have the Air, and want to do a fresh restore.

Am I best to put 6.1.3 or 7.0.3 onto it? Are Apple still verifying 6.1.3 installs?

2. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

People are looking for a pre iOS7 devices, and even if they are not, they can install iOS7 themselves.

I don't see the problem.

3. betabeta macrumors 6502a

That's what I'm doing, keeping it on iOS6...I think there may even be a premium having iOS6, someone may really want iOS6.

And if the buyer doesn't want iOS6 they can upgrade.

Best of both worlds when selling.

4. ZipZap macrumors 601

You cant actually put 6.xx on any Apple device. If its already on 6.x leave it alone.

5. pixelzombie macrumors member

pixelzombie

Yea I'd leave it on the 6.0 and mention in your listing why it's not iOS 7. The more honest and detailed you are with your customers about it's current state and previous use, the more likely you'll get people bidding/buying.

6. RebornProphet Suspended

For performance I'd say leave iOS 6.1.3 on the iPad 3. My wife has an iPad 3 and I've told her not to update to iOS 7, although she updated her iPhone 4 and since 7.0.3 and the introduction of the new Reduce Motion cross fade animations she loves it.

Still, you're going to get a better price by factoring in that the buyer will be able to choose whether to stay on iOS 6.1.3 (which could well still receive a jailbreak, who knows?) or update to iOS 7 in their own time.

7. daveb99 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your help everyone.

It's currently on iOS 5, and I've downloaded the IPSW files for 6.1.3 and 7.0.3.

Is there a version of iOS 6 that can be jailbroken, if so I could download that, install it using the option key (or whichever one it is) in iTunes - providing the Apple servers will still validate it?

8. RebornProphet Suspended

Ah, ok. You won't be able to put iOS 6 on the iPad now because iOS 6 has stopped being signed by Apple. So it's going to need to stay on iOS 5 or go straight to iOS 7.0.3. If you try to manually put iOS 6 on the iPad you will get the error, "The Device Is Not Eligible For The Requested Build".

You can, if memory serves me, Jailbreak iOS 5.1.1 on iPad 3 using Absinthe.

9. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

I wouldn't jailbreak it if you are selling, just do a full "erase all content and settings" if you want to leave it on iOS 5 or update to iOS 7.

Some buyers might be put off by the jailbreak and those who aren't can always jail break it themselves if you leave it on iOS 5.