Which iOS has the best battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ihav0frnds, Mar 26, 2011.

?

Which iOS has best battery life for iPhone

1. 4.0.x

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  2. 4.1

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. 4.2.x

8 vote(s)
    34.8%
  4. 4.3.x

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  1. ihav0frnds macrumors 6502

i've been on 4.1 and haven't updated to 4.2 because the features didn't seem that earth-shattering. then i saw a changelog state that there was improved battery life in 4.2. and with the recent 4.3 and 4.3.1 battery issues, i was just wondering which iOS would be best to run for battery life purposes?

2. seble macrumors 6502a

My ip4 always ran the best, in terms of performance, and battery life, on the original ios 4.0 software.

3. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Once I turned off Ping (in 4.3), I can't tell any difference between 4.2 and 4.3.

4. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

All iOS' have the same rate of battery life...

there is no difference whatsoever, it's all psychological

5. gigidey macrumors member

This is untrue. There are many factors in an OS that can have a dramatic effect on battery life, iOS is not the exception.

6. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

i would like for you to explain how adding a few lines of code can affect battery life :rolleyes:

the other poster is right.

7. Eso, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011

Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

The other poster is... nvm.

A "few lines of code" can be very impactful to battery life or performance, depending on what they do. The problem many have been having with 4.3 seems to be iOS establishing push connections even when the service is off which may or may not be related to the integration of Ping.

8. Mister Pie macrumors newbie

Huh? Adding a few lines of code can definitely affect battery life... I mean, what do you think apps are made of? It's all computer code. Apps drain battery faster because the computer code makes the processor do more work, which requires more energy, which drains the battery faster.

If the OS updates add a few wasteful lines of code that aren't well-vetted by QA, then there could be wasteful processor cycles constantly running in the background, increasing your iPhone's underlying baseline energy consumption.

Also, the amount of code has nothing to do with the battery/power consumption. Any junior high school student can write a few lines of code that quickly eat up all the available memory on even the most high-end systems.

9. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Where did you come up with that little tidbit of wisdom? I'll give you a few examples...Let's say that Apple removed the on/off switch for Notifications, Push, set mail fetch to once a minute, or turned location services to permanently on, added widgets, or cranked the transmitter way up for 3G and wifi. It's all code, but the battery wouldn't last very long.

10. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

The other poster is what? A genius?

[​IMG]

Yes.

11. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Definitely, no.