Which iPad 2 is best for me?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by orange42, Apr 3, 2011.

1. orange42 macrumors 6502a

I just got the old iPad for my birthday but I'm going to return it for the new one when I get a chance/they become available. I was unaware that you don't need a long term contract to get the 3G one so now I'm leaning toward picking out one of those.

I have an iPhone with AT&T now, so does that mean I would need to get the AT&T 3G iPad or can I go Verizon?

My iPhone has the $15 250mb data plan which I have never exceeded. Does the iPad generally use more data?

Which provider has better 3G service in the tri-state area?

Do iPad apps take up more room than iPhone apps? I need to figure out what amount of GB I'd get.

Thanks

2. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Just because you have an AT&T iPhone doesn't mean you need an AT&T iPad, they data plans on your iPad are completely different than on your cell phone account.

You will probably use more data on your iPad, unless you connect to WiFi most of the time. Personally I don't need a iPad 3G because I can use WiFi with my Clear iSpot or WiFi at my home.

Apps do tend to use more space on the iPad than the iPhone, especially games.

3. orange42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I will be able to use wifi just about anywhere, but since you don't need a contract I think I would get a 3G one in the event of me going away etc and wanting to use 3G rather than pay for wifi.

Also, when buying a 3G one, do you buy it for AT&T or Verizon or are they both the same and you just pay for a plan for either provider when you want it? If that makes sense...

4. KnitGirl macrumors member

You could always just tether wifi from your iPhone and forgo the 3G. I ended up getting wifi only (and spending that money on the larger 64GB size).

I just wondered since we are entering a 4G world if the 3G iPads would still be able to work. By using my iPhone 4 to tether wifi to my iPad I will be able to upgrade my phone for the 4G network without having to get a new iPad, too.

Saving on the extra cost of the 3G iPad and saving monthly with the tethering plan (4GB of data) was the right choice for me.

Of course, you are different so you have to figure out what's right for you! :)

5. benhollberg, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011

benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I agree with you that a 3G iPad would be best, especially for GPS. I thought about getting 3G for GPS and just being able to activated 3G just in case but I didn't want to spend the extra money.

You have to buy a AT&T or Verizon iPad, they are different models that will only work with GSM (AT&T) or CDMA (Verizon). I'd go with AT&T, especially if you are going to travel internationally.

6. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Care to specifiy which of the many tri-state areas you are referring to?

7. orange42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good point. NJ, NY, PA. Mostly central Jersey.

8. orange42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

How's Verizon's 3G coverage/speed in central Jersey?

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If you already have an ATT iPhone you'll know how often you have bad coverage.

10. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

11. orange42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

You already have 1. Unless judging by your signature you actually do have 2 of all those items? If so, why?

12. fsshariq macrumors member

Judging by his signature, he has 2 of many iOS devices lol