All iPads Which iPad for an 11" MBA Owner?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Shakenbake158, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Shakenbake158 macrumors member

Hey guys, I have a 2012 11" Macbook Air, and I am currently wanting to purchase an iPad.

I checked out both of them at my BestBuy, and they both seem so perfect.

At first I thought that I wanted a mini to match my smaller MBA.

But then I thought that since my MBA is smaller, why not get the Air over the mini?

So what do you guys think?

Any idea? I am pretty unsure.

2. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

Personally I would go for the air. MBA, iPad Air, it only makes sense :p.

3. kathyricks macrumors 6502

The Mini might make more sense because it would give you a computer that's pocktable whereas the iPad Air is nearly the size of your Macbook Air

4. v0lume4 macrumors 65816

v0lume4

While I don't own a smaller laptop like the 11" MBA (I own a 13" MBP), I can say that I couldn't be happier with my full-size iPad.

5. Shakenbake158 thread starter macrumors member

Haha that it does, it makes a lot of sense, and I am leaning towards the Air anyways, because it's really not physically that much bigger than the mini.

That is a good point, but is the Air that much bigger? I mean I know its bigger, but by how much?

It is what I am leaning towards at the moment.

6. kathyricks macrumors 6502

7. gagecloutier, Dec 26, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013

gagecloutier macrumors member

I'm typing this on my brand new iPad mini w/ Retina display. I bought an iPad Air on the release day, but ultimately decided to return it only a couple of days afterward.

I have a 27" maxed-out iMac (from late 2012) + 11" MBA. I returned the iPad Air because it felt like as a device, it was overlapping with my 11" MBA too much (in terms of form factor, usability, etc.) Getting rid of the 11" MBA wasn't an option, as I'm a CIS major and I need to be able to productively program in Xcode, Eclipse, SQL Server, etc. on the go, which is not feasible or practical on an iPad.

The iPad mini seems to fit into my setup much better, being the perfect middle-man between my iPhone 5 and 11" MBA. It really is just my luxury device though. If anything in my setup had to go, it would be the first to go. I'm sure that could be said for most tablet owners though, as they're primarily entertainment/consumption devices. That doesn't mean I don't love it though! :)

TLDR: iPad mini.

8. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Do not let these people make your choice!

It is your choice to make and if you do not like it, you can return it.

But, go for the AIR as it's display is much better!:D

9. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

I also have an 11" MBA, and settled on the Mini but have since changed my mind. After using the Mini Retina for about a month, it is just too small for my needs and I am going to repurchase the Air.

Of course, YMMV;)

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

IMO, it's rare that the size of your laptop (or your desktop, for that matter) should influence the decision of which size iPad to get. Would how big your laptop is matter in a decision of whether to get an iPod shuffle, nano, or touch? No, what matters is how many songs you want to put on your iPod, where you want to use it, etc. So, really, there's no reason I can think of why your having an 11 inch MBA should influence which iPad you get. Somebody might have a valid reason why, but I have yet to see/hear one.

11. mrgossett macrumors 6502

I too have an 11" Macbook Air, and I initially bought the iPad Air. I used the Air for a month and then exchanged it for the Mini Retina, and I couldn't be happier. I had the first-generation Mini and loved it, and I just missed the easier handling and smaller form factor. I can do everything on the Mini that I was doing with the Air, and hand-holding it to read books is much easier. From my experience, the only difference between the displays on the two is that the colors on the Air are slightly more saturated. The screen on my Mini Retina is bright, beautiful, sharp, and perfect with no defects of any kind.

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Since you have a laptop that is super easy to take places, do you find that you don't take it places because its too big? If yes, Mini, if no, Air.

13. WilliamLondon macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

I have an MBA 11" and paired it with an iPad mini and couldn't be happier, the two together in my bag are so portable and lightweight that you hardly notice you're carrying both of them. For me it's all about portability, which is why I got the MBA 11", and so the mini was an obvious decision.

For Christmas I got an Air, which is an awesome device, but it won't ever be taken outside the house, the mini is just much more portable (and easier to hold for longer periods of time). If I had to choose just one, it'd be the mini, it just seems to go better with the portability of the MBA 11". Also, although for some games I appreciate the additional physical space on the iPad Air, I really prefer the size of the mini for gaming.

Neither would be a mistake, they're both such great devices.