All iPads Which iPad for my daughter

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JaredVegas, Oct 25, 2013.

1. JaredVegas macrumors member

I am going to visit my 11 year old daughter on her birthday and was considering giving her my iPad 3 64gb I am replacing soon. I am concerned it will be obsolete soon and will start to show its age more and more in games. Would it be better to sell it and get a Refurb iPad 4 16gb or bite the bullet and get the iPad Air 16gb. Myself personally will be getting the iPad Aur but that may be overkill for a 11 year old. Would get the iPad Mini Retina but I will flying out on the 8th and it will not be out by then.

2. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Personally, I think it is a terrific gift just as is.
    Thoughtful, and she'll get tons of use out of it for quite awhile.

3. Tzuten macrumors 6502

iPad 3 should be good for another couple years when it comes to games and apps she would use. It's still plenty fast and the screen is nice.

My 7 year old daughter will get my iPad 3 once I upgrade to the Air or Mini.. Or Air... She's still using the iPad 1 I gave her, and for the most part it is compatible with most games she is interested in still.

Either way it's still a great thing for a kid to have.

4. Cartoonkid macrumors 6502

Cartoonkid

I agree with braddick. The iPad 3 is a rock-solid performer, and unless your daughter is into graphic heavy racing games or productivity apps, I doubt she'll ever notice any performance issues.

5. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Give her the iPad 3 and see how that goes. If she loves it and uses it a lot, buy her a new one in a year or two. JMHO!

ETA: buy her a girlie case to make it look all fresh and new.

6. JaredVegas thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice.. Just worried it would be outdated soon. But then I am of the mentality of an early adopter always wanting the newest device.

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

My 13 year old daughter is using my old iPad 3 (replaced with an Air) and it does everything she needs. Basic web, a bit of 7th grade school research, Facebook, a few games, movies, FaceTime and iBooks.

My 13 yr old son got my original iPad mini and it's doing the same thing for him just fine.

Both are running iOS 7 reasonably well, too.

Heck, my older high-school sophomore daughter is doing just fine with an iPad 2.

(And basically, all three devices are essentially the same speed - all A5-based).