All iPads Which iPad for school?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by yannoulecomte, Apr 21, 2013.

1. yannoulecomte macrumors newbie

Hey guys. I was wondering which iPad is good for schoolwork and for home too. With the mini, for no reason, I feel more productive:confused:. My price target is $500 (although I can do more:cool:) and i'll pay myself (i'm 14). Teachers let us use any device in Class. I was thinking about a 64 GB, or 32+4G for the mini. I might not really need 4G but the monthly plans really are cheap. For the bigger iPad, i was aiming at that 16 GB. Any suggestions on which is the best? I will use Pages, Keynote, play games, watch movies, surf the web, create iMovies, store photos, mails. I own a Mac so iCloud will be great between my iPhone, iPad and Mac.:)
    thanks!

and by the way is it usefull to own a phablet and a tablet? :D

please don't start talking about how bad ipads are or how much they cost. I definitely want one.

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

If you're going to use iMovie, the 128GB iPad 4. I usually average about 2GB per 15 minutes when I work with iMovie. It would be enough for everything you wanted to do without it starting to annoy you about freeing space.

And no, stick to just the iPad. And don't get the data plan. It's a waste of money, especially for school use. You need to use the internet, they have a computer lab for that or even wifi.

There, I didn't try and talk you out of one.

3. pmontanarella macrumors 6502

Hi,

I may be biased but I think the 32GB+4G is the perfect combination. The above poster mentions the fact that iMovie may take up a lot of space but I think it really depends on what specifically you're going to want to do in iMovie. Also, if you can, I suggest waiting a few months for a possible update which could bring the Retina display to the iPad Mini, if you need it now however, I wouldn't see a reason why not to get it. Lastly, while you may not need the 4G at all, I think it's worth it to get the 4G version anyways and maybe not get a data plan if you don't need it, but it's always good to have the option. Also it adds to resale value quite substantially I find.

Hope this helps,
    Pietro

4. onirocdarb, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013

onirocdarb macrumors regular

I would go for the 32gb of whichever size you like best. Chances are you won't be making any movies more than 5 minutes, and if space starts to become an issue, you can just dump them on your Mac. 4g will be a waste, you have school wifi and if you are on the go you can always tether it to your phone. Use the money you would spend on 4g for some really good apps.

5. AsianChexMix macrumors regular

I second this. You have wifi at home and school seems to have it available so 32 or 64GB for a regular iPad sounds best.

6. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

refurb 32GB wifi ipad is perfect and cheap for you. i never use my iPad 2 for video so i use my iPhone for video and iMovie. iPhone is so small and easy to hold while taking video than an iPad. :apple:

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'd get a refurb iPad 4. Also, be careful about taking it to school. It could easily get stolen or damaged.

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

He's 14 year old and he asked for it..I am sure he is good at responsibility for taking care of his new toy. :apple:

9. halduauthor macrumors newbie

Love the Mini

I use the mini for school everyday(I'm a college student), I would highly suggest going with it since it is so much lighter and you could get more memory for you money. If you have wifi pretty much everywhere at home and school then the cellular is probably not going to be worth the money for you.

10. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

I agree, I use mine around campus and at home which both have WiFi almost always available. I really have no use for cellular other than in a car.

11. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

Don't get a data plan if you are using it primarily for school. Save your money.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

He is 14 and taking it to a Middle School doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

13. ImpKali macrumors member

It sounds like you plan to use this more for productivity and entertainment. For that, I would recommend the full-size iPad. Definitely get the 64GB one because video files can potentially be massive and you'll want the extra space if you plan to do video editing in coordination with games. As for the 4G, I wouldn't recommend it if your school is equipped with WiFi regularly throughout campus.

The larger screen will make video editing and movie watching much more pleasant, and since the current Mini doesn't yet have Retina, it'll be prettier too. The Mini is also only equipped with the old A5 that was used in the iPad 2; the iPad 4 has the A6x which has a much higher clock speed and better graphics support. Since lightness doesn't sound like much of a priority, go with the big brother in the iFamily.