All iPads Which iPad for usage in bed and home?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vivek28, Dec 3, 2013.

1. vivek28 macrumors member

Finally, I have sold my ipad 3 64gb wifi on Ebay for 400 dollars:D. This thing gave me serious pain in wrists,fingers, neck while using in bed and it was laggy after ios7 upgrade.

I am torn between ipad air and rmini. Which is best suited for single handed usage for short times. Also, while laying on the bed and holding the ipad with single or both hands over ur face, which ones better? FYA, I havent tried the air or rmini yet in hands and i do like bigger retina screen. I use ipad mainly for web browsing, movies/tv shows ,skype, mail, some photo edits , very few games and i do like to read on ipad but ipad3 was too heavy.

I dont use ipads at office, my iphone 5 suffices for that. Also, I have limited usage of ipads in travelling. Also, since my ipad gone.. I am using my MBP 13 a lot more :rolleyes: and i really love the freedom.

So, please suggest.. which ipad i should want not need.. :rolleyes:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say the rMini is what you want, since you mentioned fatigue while holding the iPad 3 for extended periods

3. vivek28 thread starter macrumors member

But I heard the air has the magical weight now.. People say its like from iphone 4s to iphone5 .. I myself havent tried air or rmini..

4. nehope macrumors member

Yes, it's lighter but you certainly can't hold it with one hand.

5. Atrin1 macrumors regular

True. I've been debating myself and I wen't to the apple store again last night to hold them and the mini just feels better in the hand. the air is awesome and light and thin but i think for me the mini would work out just fine

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

It can be held in one hand by many people. Some people may struggle with holding 1 pound in one hand. I can hold it one one hand while I type something, but after a couple of minutes I need to use my second hand to support it because it does feel heavier after a while.

7. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I like the Air for reading in bed because I can rest the bottom edge in portrait on my stomach and hold the iPad with one hand, while using the thumb from the same hand to scroll. I most read the top half of the screen this way, and scroll as needed. The size of the screen makes type larger, so I can do all this at a more comfortable distance.

With the mini, I have to hold it near my face, and it gets to be a bit too close.

8. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I hold my Air with one hand without a problem.

9. GoingDark macrumors 6502

If it's rarely going to leave the house then I would get the iPad Air. It's really not that much heavier but the difference in screen real estate is very noticeable, especially if you're going to use it for reading magazines and doing a lot of web surfing.

I chose the rMini because I needed the portability more than the screen space.

10. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

11. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

The Air can easily be held with one hand. I agree with the others, it all depends on your need for portability. I would personally go try them both out first to see what best suits you. You will most likely have a gut feeling which would work best for you.

Both devices are amazing. The good news is you can't reallly go wrong. Win/win!

12. jrs22 macrumors 6502

It'll also be useful to read through the threads about cases. You would want to end up with a very light case that gives you something to hold on to. A clunky case could bring the weight of your new iPad up above that of the iPad 3.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As noted by the responses, I guess its personal preference and so OP try both iPads and see which form factor that works for you

14. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Best is always subjective so you'll get mixed answers. Get out there and try holding both to determine which suits you best.

15. hallidc macrumors 6502

hallidc

I use the Air while using around the house. I watch TV shows, play the odd game, study presentations, etc. It all comes down to what your going to use it for. If your mainly going to watch TV shows, play games, browse the web etc, I'd say get the full sized iPad.

If your going simply just read then I'd suggest the Mini.

16. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I kind of had the same issue with the original iPad since I used it as a eReader, too. While I didn't hold the Air, I ultimately chose the rMini since I prefered the smaller size (and it was a little lighter on my wallet). But like others suggested, I would go to your local Apple store and hold both devices in your hand and decide from there.

17. JGWolven macrumors regular

I take the air with me to bed every night to watch TV or read books using the Kindle app. Not once have I ever considered getting a mini for that purpose. It's not tiresome or fatiguing at all. But that obviously may not be the same for you.

18. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

I use the Air around the house and love it. When I sit down and hold the iPad to read, I prefer the mini.

19. bigboar macrumors 6502

after owning both an air and rmini I would take the rmini for everything. Its all personal preference and you will have to decide what is best for you.

20. meistervu macrumors 65816

It depends on how you hold it

I too had an iPad 3 and sold it to get either a Mini or an Air. I decided not to go to the Apple Store until the Retina Mini was available on display so I can get the first impression on both at the same time. In the mean time I read many threads debating the merits of each.

When I finally went to the store, there was a queue of people waiting to see the rMini, but I noticed a table that appeared to have both the rMini and the larger iPad, so I checked out what I thought was the rMini. It took me some time to realize that I was holding the Air! That is a testament of how much slimmer it is compared to the old version. Sure, the Mini is smaller and lighter, but the physical reduction in the Air makes it so much more compelling than the old iPad.

Still, I find that both the Air and the Mini significantly heavier than my Kindle. When not supported properly, I suspect neither is comfortable in bed lying down. However with proper support (resting elbow on bed, for example), the Air is fine, and the Mini is probably better.

I usually read sitting up with my back rested again the headboard, and I use an iPad pillow made by prop-n-go and for that use I much prefer the Air to the Mini.

21. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Last year when the first-generation iPad Mini came out, I snapped one up as soon as I could. Primary uses that I had in mind: easy transportability around town and snuggling up in bed to watch movies, tv shows or catch up on email and forums. It was stellar. The iPad 3 was just too darned heavy to use in bed. So this year, I bought the iPad Air and while it IS more comfortable to use in bed than the iPad 3, I decided that the Mini was still the winner here, so I replaced my first-gen mini with the new retina iPad Mini and am very pleased with both of my choices. I use the iPad Air in bed for movies -- it's terrific for that! -- and I use the iPad Mini in bed for forums, emails, the odd TV show episode, etc. Also the Mini is the one which leaves the house with me most often. Come warmer weather next spring and summer, the iPad Air will be the one sitting out on the deck with me. I use each one as the need arises and both fit my needs and use patterns quite nicely.

22. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

Hmmmmm. If I were in your shoes, I think I'd get the Ipad Air. If after using it for a couple weeks it turned out to be uncomfortably heavy, I'd return it for the retina mini.

23. Misskitty macrumors 6502

Air is much better value for the dollar thats forsure. More bang for your back.

Using the air after using the mini feels like a cast iron block.