Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iKeith

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2015
To use an iPad wirelessly in my apartment, I assume I'll need some kind of wireless router. I had an Airport in the past, but it wasn't very reliable and I kept having issues with it.

Any recommendations?

jev425

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Seattle, WA
To use an iPad wirelessly in my apartment, I assume I'll need some kind of wireless router. I had an Airport in the past, but it wasn't very reliable and I kept having issues with it.

Any recommendations?

Apartments vary in size. Depending where you'll be placing the router and how many walls come between you and the router when using your iPad

Reactions: iKeith

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
Either the air 2 or the mini 4, would be my recommendation, as they will take new updates longer, and can utilize all the new features in os9. Size is an individual preference.

As to seeing the grumbling so about screens, not sure any iPad has not had at least one of those threads. If for some reason you are in the 1-2% that gets a bad screen, you can exchange it. I have been purchasing iPads since the first gen, and have not had an issue, but know apple take care of their customers.

iKeith

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2015
Apartments vary in size. Depending where you'll be placing the router and how many walls come between you and the router when using your iPad
I live in an efficiency (studio) apartment. (Still pretty big considering I only like to own what I use on a weekly basis.) 465 sq. ft. No walls to interfere. Will check back for your recommendation later. Off to work. Thanks jev425!

iKeith

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2015
Either the air 2 or the mini 4, would be my recommendation, as they will take new updates longer, and can utilize all the new features in os9. Size is an individual preference.

As to seeing the grumbling so about screens, not sure any iPad has not had at least one of those threads. If for some reason you are in the 1-2% that gets a bad screen, you can exchange it. I have been purchasing iPads since the first gen, and have not had an issue, but know apple take care of their customers.

Thanks for the reassurance, Capt T. I'm leaning heavily towards the Mini 4. The silicone and smart covers are pricey, though. They always getcha with the accessories, don't they?

Speaking of which, anyone recommend "Must Have" accessories?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
The Apple routers tend to be very good, although a little bit pricey. I like Asus routers for a bit less money.

Wireless in an apartment is always a bit less than ideal because there are typically so many wireless devices competing for the same spectrum. I'd make sure to get one that is dual-band (2.4 and 5ghz). Pretty much anything new that is anything but the cheapest should be.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I think the Smart Covers are must-have. I don't like full covers because they greatly increase the weight of the device. The smart covers are barely noticeable, protect the screen in a bag, and can be removed whenever you are holding the device, and perform at least an adequate job of propping it up. If you are abusive with your electronics, you'll want a complete case however.

Left4DeadBoy

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2015
I definitely use the Smart Covers. I didnt know that anyone else did. Its that simple when your Mac is built for forum browsing.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
iPad Air 2 is currently the better deal being on clearance for $350 or less and better spec'd.

iPad Mini 4 has better form factor if you plan to use it as a phone but I'd wait for a sale since it's not worth MSRP.

Haven't tried it on my iPad but on my Android devices I use Hangouts plus Hangouts dialer with 10-digit Google Voice # for free inbound/outbound calls within North America and SMS over WIFI or LTE. Nicest part is I can have the number active on multiple devices or instantaneously self port it between devices.

If you don't need to be always reachable then you can do with free public WIFI everywhere and save yourself the monthly carrier plan.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
Wow, thanks for taking the time to find that for me. I'll definitely look into it. But, as recommended, I probably won't do it. The reason I wanted to consider it is because I use my phone so very little.

I'm like you in this regard. My iPad mini fits in my suit jacket pocket and is my main portable device, which means I don't use my phone for much beyond making phone calls and taking pictures. I've thought about using the iPad mini as a phone, but it's not as good at taking pictures, and I'm not sure I want to go to the trouble of figuring it out.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
When I got my Mac mini to finally covert from Windows I bought a time capsule router from the refurbished store it was the best decision I made as I always had trouble with prior routers but apples time capsule has been super easy to use. It also has a hard drive so I do monthly backups, it's an all in one and I really like it. I get great reception it uses the new ac wifi but I have an iPhone 5 so I've never been able to use the new AC feature but just bought an iPad Air 2 from staples with their current sale and I believe the Air 2 utilizes the new AC wireless technology so I'm excited to see how it will work.

iKeith

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2015
The Apple routers tend to be very good, although a little bit pricey. I like Asus routers for a bit less money.

Wireless in an apartment is always a bit less than ideal because there are typically so many wireless devices competing for the same spectrum. I'd make sure to get one that is dual-band (2.4 and 5ghz). Pretty much anything new that is anything but the cheapest should be.

I'll have to do some research on routers. I'll be sure to check out the Asus, though. Anything specific I should be looking for in a router? I'll also check to see if a pocket wifi wouldn't be a better deal. (I pay a flat $39.95/mo. with my ISP and get about 53mbps.) If I can find a pocket wifi device that can give me that, it seems that would be a better deal because then I'd have the internet wherever I went. Unless, I'm missing something... which I usually am.

I think the Smart Covers are must-have. I don't like full covers because they greatly increase the weight of the device. The smart covers are barely noticeable, protect the screen in a bag, and can be removed whenever you are holding the device, and perform at least an adequate job of propping it up. If you are abusive with your electronics, you'll want a complete case however.

I'm anything but abusive with my electronics. My 12 year old flip phone still looks brand new. I've never even dropped it. I'll just have to take a look at the covers when I go to look at the iPads. I wanted to yesterday, but work got crazy... and it will again today. I guess I'll have to wait until the weekend.

iKeith

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2015
iPad Air 2 is currently the better deal being on clearance for $350 or less and better spec'd.

iPad Mini 4 has better form factor if you plan to use it as a phone but I'd wait for a sale since it's not worth MSRP.

Haven't tried it on my iPad but on my Android devices I use Hangouts plus Hangouts dialer with 10-digit Google Voice # for free inbound/outbound calls within North America and SMS over WIFI or LTE. Nicest part is I can have the number active on multiple devices or instantaneously self port it between devices.

If you don't need to be always reachable then you can do with free public WIFI everywhere and save yourself the monthly carrier plan.

I'm still leaning towards the iPad Mini 4, but I'll be giving the Air 2 a fair look. I'm still curious how I could turn it into a phone and get rid of Verizon. For as infrequently as I use my phone, I'd be willing to put up with a little inconvenience from a larger device to do that. I don't know anything about Google (or, as I call them, Evil Inc.) Voice, SMS, LTE or self ports. But, by the time I'm done, folks will think I invented them. I research everything down to the tiny details...

Last edited:

iKeith

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2015
I'm like you in this regard. My iPad mini fits in my suit jacket pocket and is my main portable device, which means I don't use my phone for much beyond making phone calls and taking pictures. I've thought about using the iPad mini as a phone, but it's not as good at taking pictures, and I'm not sure I want to go to the trouble of figuring it out.

Personally, my suit days are over. I couldn't stand anything to do with Corporate America and got out. So, if I end up using an iPad as a phone, I'll have a few considerations to take into account regarding where to keep it while I'm working. Mostly, it will stay home. I rarely even take my flip phone out of the house. I treat it like a land line 98% of the time.

I definitely use the Smart Covers. I didnt know that anyone else did. Its that simple when your Mac is built for forum browsing.
Thanks, Left4DeadBoy. I'm kind of glad there aren't many accessories out there for these iPads yet. Makes everything a lot simpler. Now, if they just came with decent earbuds. I don't listen to anything loudly, but I hate hearing everyone else's stuff when it leaks out of their ears. Annoying.

iKeith

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2015
When I got my Mac mini to finally covert from Windows I bought a time capsule router from the refurbished store it was the best decision I made as I always had trouble with prior routers but apples time capsule has been super easy to use. It also has a hard drive so I do monthly backups, it's an all in one and I really like it. I get great reception it uses the new ac wifi but I have an iPhone 5 so I've never been able to use the new AC feature but just bought an iPad Air 2 from staples with their current sale and I believe the Air 2 utilizes the new AC wireless technology so I'm excited to see how it will work.

I've heard of Time Capsule but never a Time Capsule Router. I'll definitely look into this. I really don't have any need to back anything up, though. I never keep anything on the computer that I'm not willing to lose. That's how simple my life really is. I don't need the internet. I can live without it. I don't own a TV, radio, stereo, CDs, DVDs, video games, a microwave... I grew up very rural and still make my own bread and butter by hand each week. As far as I'm concerned, after they invented indoor plumbing, I was content.

Mostly, I use my iMac - which will be replaced soon with an iPad, to simplify even more - for YouTube, to watch my favorite pastors from around the world. Those who don't upload to YouTube, I use iTunes or go to sermonindex dot net. A Time Capsule Router sounds like a good place to back up the "Must Hear" sermons I'd like to keep track of.

What's AC? (Another thing I'll have to look into.)

EDITED TO ADD: I looked into it here. It's very good to know that the type of router makes a HUGE difference. Thanks heaps! Does the Mini 4 support 11ac speeds?

Last edited:

jev425

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Seattle, WA
I'll have to do some research on routers. I'll be sure to check out the Asus, though. Anything specific I should be looking for in a router? I'll also check to see if a pocket wifi wouldn't be a better deal. (I pay a flat $39.95/mo. with my ISP and get about 53mbps.) If I can find a pocket wifi device that can give me that, it seems that would be a better deal because then I'd have the internet wherever I went. Unless, I'm missing something... which I usually am.

I'm anything but abusive with my electronics. My 12 year old flip phone still looks brand new. I've never even dropped it. I'll just have to take a look at the covers when I go to look at the iPads. I wanted to yesterday, but work got crazy... and it will again today. I guess I'll have to wait until the weekend.

I really like my asus router. For the size of area you want to put wifi in you can easily get a good enough router for under $100. I would find something with dual-band(which most are now a days) so you don't have any interference from other electronics around your apartment building.

Pocket wifi depending what wireless company you get it from and where you live could easily get those speeds, if not even faster. Like you said it would be nice to have it anywhere you go, but depending how much internet you use.

For example, AT&T offers a 5gb per month pocket wifi for $50. If you use more than 5gb per month between all your devices you run the risk of having them slow down your internet to a crawl. It is less likely if you live in a rural area since they prioritize metro areas to keep antennas less congested with Internet hogs. I

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
If you're rarely going to take the iPad out, that might be a reason for giving another look at the Air 2. There are people who prefer the mini who mostly use it at home, because it's small and easy to carry, almost like a modest sizedbook. But I do think for most the mini's portability edge will be lessened if it's only used at home. I might chosen an Air myself, if I'd only expected to use my iPad at home.

iKeith

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2015
I really like my asus router. For the size of area you want to put wifi in you can easily get a good enough router for under $100. I would find something with dual-band(which most are now a days) so you don't have any interference from other electronics around your apartment building.

Pocket wifi depending what wireless company you get it from and where you live could easily get those speeds, if not even faster. Like you said it would be nice to have it anywhere you go, but depending how much internet you use.

For example, AT&T offers a 5gb per month pocket wifi for $50. If you use more than 5gb per month between all your devices you run the risk of having them slow down your internet to a crawl. It is less likely if you live in a rural area since they prioritize metro areas to keep antennas less congested with Internet hogs. I

I live in Minneapolis. Speed is definitely my biggest need so, whether I get a router or pocket wifi, I want to make sure it's going to be reliable and fast. Like I said, most of my time is spent on YouTube for a few hours a day. I imagine that watching videos uses "a lot of internet."

I went on Amazon to look at routers and... jenkies! So many it's intimidating. And I don't know nearly enough about them to choose. I'm not looking forward to this part. Amazon has covers really cheap though, I noticed.

iKeith

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2015
If you're rarely going to take the iPad out, that might be a reason for giving another look at the Air 2. There are people who prefer the mini who mostly use it at home, because it's small and easy to carry, almost like a modest sizedbook. But I do think for most the mini's portability edge will be lessened if it's only used at home. I might chosen an Air myself, if I'd only expected to use my iPad at home.

Very good point. I hadn't thought of that. I took tomorrow off work so I'll be going to Apple, making my iPad decision, and then buying one where I can find the best discount. So far, that's at Target using my friend's employee discount of 14%. On $399, that's $56 in savings. On $499 it saves $75. Not bad.

Is the A8x that much faster than the A8? Is it worth $100 more?

iKeith

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2015
I just called Target. They don't know if they're going to be getting the iPad Mini 4 in or not, they haven't heard. Apple didn't give them any Apple Watches, so...

They have the iPad Air 2 and the guy on the phone recommended the 64 GB (they don't have the 32 GB model) because he said once I load everything, it's going to use up about 6GB already. I'm probably going with the Wifi Only model. That's $599. $519 after my friend's discount. That's only $20 more than if I paid full price for the 32GB.

I really thought I was going for the Mini 4, but now I'm thinking the Air 2 is the way to go, especially with the discount. It's getting pricier after you throw in a router and a cover. :::sigh:::

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
My personal opinion is that the difference in price between the Air 2 and Mini 4 is small for a device one may be using on a near daily basis for years, and one should choose which ever size device suits one's needs and preferences more closely (easier said than done). Similarly, I think the difference in processor power is small enough not to be a factor, unless one is nearly indifferent as to device size.

I chose the mini form factor because it fits the way I want to use the device, and I would have chosen it if it had been more instead of less expensive than the Air.

Currently there are some sales on the Air 2, so it may not even be more expensive if you look for a deal.

iKeith

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2015
My personal opinion is that the difference in price between the Air 2 and Mini 4 is small for a device one may be using on a near daily basis for years, and one should choose which ever size device suits one's needs and preferences more closely (easier said than done). Similarly, I think the difference in processor power is small enough not to be a factor, unless one is nearly indifferent as to device size.

I chose the mini form factor because it fits the way I want to use the device, and I would have chosen it if it had been more instead of less expensive than the Air.

Currently there are some sales on the Air 2, so it may not even be more expensive if you look for a deal.

First, thank you so much for your kindness and patience wading through all of these posts and my questions. (Thanks to ANYONE who's read this far! It really is helpful.)

Yes, I will be using whichever iPad I get on a daily basis for years. Longevity

I just got off the phone with Target to make sure the Target discount applies towards Apple products. (Someone warned me that it probably won't.) It does. But, Target doesn't carry the Mini 4 because Apple hasn't given them any. (They said Apple didn't send them any watches either.)

Also, the Target employee also recommended the 64GB because he said once everything gets loaded onto the iPad, it will take up about 6GB and Apple Updates (future) will take up more space, too. He said this could slow down a 16GB iPad's performance. Is this true? That means I'd get the 64GB Wifi only Air 2 for $515.

I called Best Buy Mobile for price matching. The person who helped me there said she would lean towards the Mini 4 for longevity, over the Air 2, since that came out in November 2014. Is this accurate information? I'm starting to get a bit confused.

iKeith

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2015
Hmmm... I can use the Target Cartwheel discount of 10% on the iPad Air 2 64GB. That brings it from $599 to $539.10. With my friend's 14% Target Discount, that brings it down to $463.63 for a total discount of $135.37. I'm thinking I may have to go with the Air 2.

jev425

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Seattle, WA
Hmmm... I can use the Target Cartwheel discount of 10% on the iPad Air 2 64GB. That brings it from $599 to $539.10. With my friend's 14% Target Discount, that brings it down to $463.63 for a total discount of $135.37. I'm thinking I may have to go with the Air 2.

I was going to mention that discount but wasn't sure if you could use it together with the employee discount. Heck of a deal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.