Which Ipad is easiest to resell?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vandrv, Nov 20, 2011.

1. vandrv, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011

vandrv macrumors regular

I have finally decided to succumb and buy an Ipad, and don't want to wait for the Ipad 3, but am having trouble deciding my best choice. I know that if the 3 has a retina display, I will replace the 2, so my question is which Ipad 2 I should get. All I probably need for my own use is the 16 gig wifi, but would more memory or 3g hold its value better and be easier to resell? Thanks for any opinions.

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

Obviously, the 16gb, because you have a larger pool of potential buyers to choose from. It is a seller's market. In my case, I sold my iPad1 a while ago for just about the price I paid for it (bought shortly after iPad2 came out).

You'll probably get roughly the same deal with the 32gb, but have a smaller pool of buyers (might take more time to sell) and have more cash tied up in the investment. Put your 100 dollars in the bank or stocks to earn some money off of it instead. It won't be much over the next six months (3 or 4 dollars), but that is more than you'd have if you put it into the device.

I have the 32gb, and I wish I would have gone with the 16gb. With all of the cloud services and disciplined memory management, I've found I don't need the extra memory.

3. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Oh I don't know...last night my 64GB WiFi + 3G iPad1 sold for $430 on eBay. I got the thing on launch day over a year ago, so I'd say that's a decent return.

4. vandrv thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies. I would have thought the other way around, that the larger memory Ipads would be easier. I guess this makes my choice of the 16 gig wifi, that much easier. I know they all hold their value pretty well, so in the end probably just makes sense to go with the one that fits my needs best.

5. iAmYou, Nov 20, 2011

iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

Uh, not what I would call a decent return.
    Your $19 dollars shy, to buy a Refurb 16GB wifi only iPad2

6. IllIllIll, Nov 20, 2011

IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Apples and oranges. The person looking to buy a 64GB WiFi + 3G iPad is not going to consider a 16GB WiFi only iPad2 as an alternative. If anything the refurb iPad2 you mention is overpriced.

Besides, if you look at the numbers I'd say my return was pretty decent. I paid $829 for the iPad1 back in April 2010. It's been a year and 7 months and I just got $430 for it. That's only a drop of $399, or 48%, in value, which IMO is more than fair for the amount of time I've had it.

I'm curious, what would YOU consider a decent return for such a device? 60%? 80%?

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Not to argue with you (it's a pretty good return compared to most electronics) -- as a buyer, if I think about the roughly 50% price drop, it's much tougher to find a base iPad that originally sold for $500 for $250 -- some go below $300 here and there, but they go really quickly.

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I doubt anyone has performed a meaningful analysis. Your guess is as good as anyone else's.

9. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Better way to think about it - far majority of the time, the stock base SKU is the best for resale, as you lose less money here vs others.

10. palpatine macrumors 68040

i got about a 95% return on my investment. if i had bought it for full price (before the ipad 2 came out), i'd still be at about 70%.

i think all ipads hold value well, but the market for the base model will be larger for just about any product. it's an economic issue.

11. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559