iPad Which iPad is the best value?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MauerFan, Mar 23, 2013.

1. MauerFan macrumors regular

I am looking to buy an iPad, and I am currently looking at all of my options. That includes looking at the Apple refurbished store. I would be using my iPad as a supplement to my 15" 2012 non-retina MBP, with the primary use being e-mail, surfing, typing documents and other activities. I have narrowed it down to the three choices: A brand new 16 gb iPad 4 that would cost $536 with tax, this 3rd generation 32 gb white iPad that would cost $504 with tax, OR this 4th generation 16 gb white iPad that woud cost $483 with tax. The third generation iPad is tempting because I would get more memory, but it doesn't have the lighting cable. Going forward I suppose I could always get an adaptor though. Which is the best bang for my buck though? Also, have you had good experiences with the refurb store?

2. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Just got an ipad 3 64Gb refurb as a gift. Practically brand new, you couldn't tell the difference.(In fact I'm typing on it right now) I also had the choice of the ipad 4 16, but I would definitely go for the ipad 3. The ipad 3 represents the best value IMO because you get a 2012 ipad with retina display that is only months older than ipad 4 yet you can get allot more memory. Memory nowadays is allot more important because retina apps can take a gig or two EACH. iPad 2 I would steer clear, as for a little bit more you can just get an ipad 3.

I too was a little hesitant about ipad 3 not have the lightning( I have an iPhone 5, and the lightning connector is far superior) but really it's not that big of a deal.

3. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

It doesn't seem like you need extra storage, I would go with the 16gb ipad4 for the faster processor, which hopefully helps with rendering PDFs (they lag a fair bit when opening and scrolling on my ipad3).

By the way, why do you have 2 ipad 4 with different prices? Is the second one a refurbed?

4. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

5. MauerFan thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, the second one is refurbed.

6. waa1futs macrumors 6502

iPad mini 16gb wifi + cellular is the best value if you are smart and use it to replace a smartphone & laptop.

This way you only pay $20/mo for 1 gig of data on Verizon contract-free and simply get a dumbphone with a cheap prepaid service.

Save money two ways.

7. flavr macrumors 6502

flavr

Id steer clear of iPad 3 at this point...its getting a little long in the tooth with the iPad 5 coming out this year...

best value...iPad MINI 32GB...$429!

8. MauerFan thread starter macrumors regular

Even though the mini doesn't have retina?

9. MauerFan thread starter macrumors regular

Going for the mini...

I was going to wait for the retina mini, but I don't think i can wait much longer. The iPad mini just seems like a pretty awesome device. Is there any accessories that you recommend getting? I'll probably get a smart cover through Amazon and get it cheaper. If it matters, i have a 2012 non-retina MBP.

10. flavr macrumors 6502

flavr

The screen looks great, nice, colorful and bright. They dont make a retina MINI right now so this is the best iPad available

11. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

12. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Agreed if it meets one's needs.

13. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

If you are set on a Mini, at least buy a refurb. Apple is selling them now, and use the savings to buy a case or other accessory

14. ZuneMan? macrumors regular

15. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I love my 4, and the only way I'd get a mini was if it had retina. I really appreciate the added power the 4 has. To say the mini is the best iPad available is to discount anyone's needs that aren't similar to yours. The 4 is the best iPad for me.

16. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

Get a new iPad 3 from best buy. 32 gb wifi was 449 usd!

17. MauerFan thread starter macrumors regular

I really thought about going the iPad 3 route, but how long do you think Apple will send out updates for the iPad 3? I'd like to keep whatever I get for awhile.

18. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

the same amount of time it will send out updates for the iPad Mini, considering it's the same A5 chip (except the iPad 3 has better graphics w/ the A5X solely just to handle the Retina screen).

what's all of this concern about updates anyways. how old is the iPhone 4? look how long that has been receiving iOS updates

19. Luis2004 macrumors 6502a

Have you compared it with a 4 side by side? Unless I had a bad mini, the screen is not as bright as the 4, and colors seem a bit washed out in comparison.

20. AppleRobert macrumors 603

The OP is obviously going to be in for a long spring and summer considering his moniker. Best buy now whatever their choice is! :D:D

21. MauerFan thread starter macrumors regular

Getting a 32GB white iPad mini this weekend! :D

22. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

the first iPad and the iphone 4 has the same chip. the iPad however, didn't get iOS 6.

23. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Great. That will get you through the dog days and then some. Enjoy it.

24. kaylerrific macrumors regular

I adore both of our iPads, an iPad 4 and an iPad mini. But I have to say, the iPad mini is more bang for the buck. It's so tote-able and I personally have no problems with the screen.

25. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

definitely a valid point, i'll give that to you.

however the iPad 1 performs considerably slower than the iPhone 4 so my guess is that the A4 gets taxed more when trying to output to the larger sceen

the A5 is one heck of a chip and i expect it to actually last longer (update wise) than the A4 did.

also, regarding iOS 6 vs the previous iOS 5. i am actually still running iOS 5.1.1 on my iPad 3 as i have several jailbreak apps that are not compatible with iOS 6 (yet). until that happens, i am sticking with iOS 5. i haven't run into any issues except for the newest TED app which requires iOS 6