Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alyssap22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2014
Hi there? First off I’ll put it out there that I have ocd and general anxiety disorder. I need an iPad for work and planning plus some tv watching/media consumption. Best Buy has the 10 on sale and I really like the pink color plus I have a gift card to boot. But I saw on tik tok someone’s bent. But I’ve seen that for the airs and pros too. Is there a model that is the sturdiest? Also is it true that with AppleCare you get unlimited repairs now with copay? Any advice is appreciated! please be kind, thank you so much!

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Firstly you should understand that bending an iPad requires a force that won't actually happen in normal use. My iPad Air 4 is perfectly fine after three years. You do not have to worry too much here.

That being said, they can bend if you press hard enough. JerryRigEverything does extreme testing and found that while the Pro survived (bending did not break anything, but it was still bent), the Air 5 bent more easily and cracked. So there is some truth to TikTok (that's a first?).

Hopefully whatever model you choose satisfies your needs and comes with 100% battery ;) Good luck.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I would think the smaller the device the less chance of bending, so I guess a Mini would be least likely to bend. But not sure if that’s true because there could be other factors in play such as differences in structural design and material. And not sure if a Mini is too small for your needs.

But really, I think bending any iPad is not something you have to worry about unless you have very unusual circumstances. I’ve owned first and second generation 12.9” iPads over the last 7 years, treated them haphazardly but with common sense, and never had an issue. I imagine people bend theirs by accidentally sitting on them, which is something I’ve never done nor think I would ever be in danger of doing. But maybe that’s just me.

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
I left my 12.9" iPad at the back of a backpack, in its designated cushioned place. I put the backpack in a fully loaded trunk. It bended slightly, glass and everything. Put a heavy, heavy load of books on it, just like a new 😂. Really, you wouldn’t notice.
Pro tip: when travelling, be more mindful than me. Or keep your iPad in a hardshell, I mean really tough hardshell case. They all bend. Except for Macbook Pros, I’d say. Those things are built like tanks.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
The Mini is not any sturdier, the size seems not to matter that much since they are designed very differently. JerryRigEverything tested the bigger M1/M2 iPad Pro and it actually ended up being one of the sturdiest tablets. I do not see a test for the smaller iPad Pro so who knows if that is as sturdy...

In the end all tablets are relatively thin and as sturdy as the big iPad Pro is, I still wouldn't put it in a backpack's laptop compartment where it will be pressed in between the contents of the backpack and your back. Instead, it should go into a backpack's tablet compartment in the front (furthest away from your back), many backpacks have that and it often fits tablets up to 11" perfectly.

That way no stress is exerted on the iPad no matter how heavy the backpack may be.

There have always been reports of iPads bending under normal use without excessive force and I think that might be what's happening there, people carry it in the laptop compartment pressed against their backs. Our backs curve and if the iPad gets pressed against that over months and years of daily commuting it's not too different from accidentally sitting down on it.

I understand that these are everyday devices that get carried around a lot and need to be sturdy enough to be fit for that purpose. And that might indeed mean that the 10th gen iPad is so easy to break that it's not quite up the task. On the other hand it should be clear that these thin tablets will never be as sturdy as a laptop and can't be transported the same way.

Also is it true that with AppleCare you get unlimited repairs now with copay?
Yes. You can check the prices for exchanging an accidentally damaged iPad here: https://support.apple.com/ipad/repair It's essentially $49 per replacement. Unlimited does not really matter, Apple just introduced it because it sounds better and makes you feel better about spending the extra money for AC+ in the first place, but most iPads never see any damage, and even if they do it's even less likely to happen multiple times in a row.

If you do end up purchasing AC+ you might as well buy whatever iPad you want without regards to how sturdy it is. If carried properly they won't bend.

I left my 12.9" iPad at the back of a backpack, in its designated cushioned place.
Cushioned just prevents scratches, unless the cushioned place was a metal box I don't see how that would help? In the back where laptops go? That is not the right place for it. The iPad should sit in the front in a tablet pouch where it sits freely without pressure from either side. You might need to replace the backpack if it does not have that or if it's badly designed with the tablet pouch in a bad spot.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
My experience has been that the non-laminated iPads generally are sturdier, thicker, and a bit heavier than laminated. Not as delicate with the display glass more substantial. In my opinion less prone to damage. This is why I prefer the regular models to tell you the truth.

Last edited:

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
I do not think should worry about your iPad bending. Buy the one you want and just take reasonable care of it. The only iPad I have seen bent is when a friend put his ipad under a pillow on the couch. His 135lb son was horsing around on top of the couch and stepped with all his weight on the pillow. The iPad only slightly bent.

Moral to story. Put you iPad on a table and not under a pillow.

Reactions: Isengardtom

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
Hi there? First off I’ll put it out there that I have ocd and general anxiety disorder. I need an iPad for work and planning plus some tv watching/media consumption. Best Buy has the 10 on sale and I really like the pink color plus I have a gift card to boot. But I saw on tik tok someone’s bent. But I’ve seen that for the airs and pros too. Is there a model that is the sturdiest? Also is it true that with AppleCare you get unlimited repairs now with copay? Any advice is appreciated! please be kind, thank you so much!
I use a rugged iPad case to avoid bends and cracked screens

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
The one you don't bend! ;)

A keyboard cover such as the Smart Keyboard Folio is really sturdy, even the ordinary Smart Folio. It's really hard to bend, I've packed my 11" iPP many times in soft luggage for my motorcycle without any issues.

Reactions: Digitalguy

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
If we remove the event of someone sitting on a iPad, what should really be avoided is putting the iPad in a backpack naked, even in the laptop sleeve. Use something like a Smart Keyboard of even just a Smart Folio and it will be enough to protect it.
Having said that, based on bending tests, laminated iPads tend to bend more easily than non laminated one, except the Mini-Led iPads, which were made thicker because of the miniled techonology. So the base iPads should be sturdier than the more premium one (again minus the 12.9 M1/M2)

Reactions: Isengardtom

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
If we remove the event of someone sitting on a iPad, what should really be avoided is putting the iPad in a backpack naked, even in the laptop sleeve. Use something like a Smart Keyboard of even just a Smart Folio and it will be enough to protect it.
Having said that, based on bending tests, laminated iPads tend to bend more easily than non laminated one, except the Mini-Led iPads, which were made thicker because of the miniled techonology. So the base iPads should be sturdier than the more premium one (again minus the 12.9 M1/M2)
See post #6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.