Which iPad? Mini, 2, 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ImKay, Oct 25, 2012.

1. ImKay macrumors newbie

Okay hey everyone!
    I need some advice on what iPad I should buy, firstly I already have an iPad 3 but it does not belong to me myself, it's a family iPad and can't use it in college and i'm unsure of what iPad to purchase. I'm 16 and don't want to spend loads on another item which essentially I already have.

Here are the choices;

iPad mini, new 16GB £269
    I literally had my heart set out on this, I wanted it so bad and when the US price got released I was so happy because that translated to £206 so I thought okay Apple will maybe round it to £225 cause they're apple. But to my amazement I was greeted with £269 Which I think is terrible...

iPad 2 (Refurb) £259
    After my disappointment of the first choice which was the mini with its terrible pricing I'm leaning towards an iPad 2, which can't be that bad, I really just want to browse, do the occasional gaming and just be an average consumer and apparently the A5 within can match the power of the A5X when it comes to performing because it doesn't have to power all those pixels for the retina display.

iPad 3 (Used)£290-£330
    Last choice, maybe pick up a used iPad 3 on ebay, not to sure about this idea though :s

Will going away from the iPad 3's retina to the iPad two disappoint me?

Any advice appreciated :eek: :)

2. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

if its for school i say ipad 3/4.. would be best for textbooks.

personally i just used an ipad 2 for the first time since the 3 came out and its night an day going from the 3 to the 2

3. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

If you don't have specific concerns about the size of the iPad, then the iPad 4th generation is the best value IMHO, so of your 3 options the used iPad 3 is the best if the price is only £40 more than a used iPad 2. The iPad mini will not be a good productivity device, more media consumption.

4. ImKay thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, thanks for the advice, will see when I come into money :)

5. tann macrumors 68000

i'd say mini or 4. They'd be best, if you can go for it go for 4 unless portability is a MAJOR thing (or one handed use).

6. Bez59 macrumors regular

16gb refurb 3rd gen are £315 from Apple wen they have them in stock which i think is pretty good especially with 12 months warranty.

7. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

if you don't care about graphics intensive games like Metal Storm hiccuping here and there, the BEST value will be an iPad 3, 16GB wifi-only refurb for $379.

to put it into perspective, the iPad 2 version was $319 refurb. for an extra $60 you get the Retina screen which is WELL worth it once you see it.

i could never go back to my iPad 2 after having used an iPad 3 Retina for just 20 days

8. PlutoniusX macrumors member

iPad 2 or an iPad 3. If you REALLY want to spend the extra coin to get a faster processor you can go for the iPad 4.

I got a used iPad 3 for 420 (32gb). Either get a refurb for a little more or a used (plenty of people selling there is at a lost because of the iPad 4 announcements).

iPad Mini. Yea Right