Carrier Which Ipad mini is most best suit for me.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dippindotz, Jan 27, 2014.

1. dippindotz macrumors newbie

I apologize if I posted this in the wrong section, I am new here.

So I am in need of some opinions on choosing what Ipad mini I should get. First off, I'm getting an Ipad no matter what, so don't recommend me a Samsung Or nexus. Reason why I want an Ipad is because I have a ton of money I have invested into the app store, and I just like the os. I am either getting The first generation or the retina, both Ipad minis. The thing I plan on doing on these devices is Web Browsing, watching Youtube, Maybe some light gaming, and the occasional typing for school papers. This isn't going to replace my computer, I have no intention doing so as I have a beefy custom built. I just want to get a tablet for when I am not at my desk. I am coming from an Ipod touch 4th generation, so I'm not sure if this is retina or not. Any opinions on what ipad mini I should get?

P.S. Can someone explain to me what the prefix is? I didn't know what to pick so I choose Carrier, but I have no idea what that means

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I don't see why you wouldn't just get the latest retina iPad mini. Go for it.

3. dippindotz thread starter macrumors newbie

Other than the screen, how faster is the retina compared to the mini?

4. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Ton of money? Then get rMini - 32GB is the best for you. Space grey is nice than white. :apple:

5. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

might as well get the retina mini so you don't have to wait as long to upgrade. get the latest and greatest.

6. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

iPad mini retina

Look for open box ones at best buy. I went in during the special they had intending to get a 1st gen and found an open box mini retina listed at 387.50, I ask if they could do better and they gave it to me for 349.99 plus tax. A great deal.

7. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Well if the extra $100 is no problem go with the reatina mini for sure. The high pixel density is something that means a lot to me do thats what I would go with. But it's also much much faster.

8. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

I went from a touch (gen 1) to a 4s to a mini 1 to a mini 2. 32mb+ rMini all the way.

9. 617aircav Suspended

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As others stated, if you can afford it, then buy the current model, why spend $$ on last years model if you can swing the newer one.

11. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Because you don't need it and foresee yourself upgrading not so far down the line. The retina Mini is good, but not perfect. The next "killer feature" to wait for is implementation of TouchID, which could come as early as this year's update. If that's the case, what's the point in going all-out now?

I used a 1st-generation iPad Mini regularly for work for a few months and upgraded to the retina iPad Mini when it was released. The retina screen was a must-have feature for me to make my hand-written notes easier to read. The non-retina screen was perfectly fine for reading webpages and e-books, though. Addressing the original poster's stated uses:

1) When it comes to webpages, if occasional jerkiness when scrolling around bothers you then the newer hardware will offer smoother performance.

2) For YouTube, the difference will really be in the screen. If you're watching things at higher quality settings then you might notice a difference.

3) For gaming, newer hardware will always trump older hardware. For what it's worth, the 1st-generation retina Mini handled games like Infinity Blade III just fine. However, newer games will undoubtedly begin to utilize newer hardware, and the non-retina Mini will get left behind.

In sum, if TouchID isn't that important to you and/or you wouldn't want to upgrade again this year regardless, then the retina Mini is the way to go. While the original Mini is no slouch, the speed improvements on the retina Mini are noticeable. While the non-retina display of the Mini is fine (I can go back to it without wanting to claw my eyes out), the retina display is pleasing. If you can afford it and don't feel like there's any major feature missing that you're hoping will make it into the Mini 3, the retina Mini is the way to go.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

By the same token, he'll gain more enjoyment out of the rMini because the screen is that much better and if apple improves the mini for next year then he can always sell it and get the newer one. We are talking about an upgrade next September so its not like an update is around the corner either.

I own both, the first gen and the rMini and I think its a no brainer to go for the rMini. Better screen, better CPU and GPU with the same battery life.

You're spending 100 dollars more for the rMini and you get so many tangible benefits, imo its well worth the expense.

13. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

Agree. Unless the extra $100 is a real burden, the rMini is absolutely the way to go.

14. Barhen, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014

Barhen macrumors member

with the regular mini, you will be squinting a lot, since its fuzzy like the old orig. iphone and ipad1. tons of stuff are retina ready and it will look jagged. My nephews have the reg. mini and I cant stand to look at them for reading or anything but they love gaming on it.

With this retina model, you don't need to upgrade for a long time, since its crystal sharp and if you get the right amount of memory space, it will/can last years. I'd suggest waiting a bit to save another 100 bucks for the retina version.

EDIT:
    Forgot to answer one question you had, prefix... WIFI is wireless network where you can mooch internet from home/public wireless network or tether/hot spot from your phone to provide internet to your ipad.

The others from Verizon, sprint, att and t-mobile require you to pay monthly for Internet access but you wont depend on any wireless networks.