iPad Which iPad model will take the iPad 2's $399 spot ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MikeS007, Oct 6, 2013.

1. MikeS007 macrumors newbie

Will it be iPad 4 or a cheaper version of iPad 5 ?

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

The iPad 2 seems to still be in the lineup for now. Love mine. As for what replaces it? I'd think at some point only the 3 and 5 will be available. The 3 will be the low cost, base option and the 5 will be the flagship. Then, the mini fills the gap between those two or something like that. I can't see why they'd keep the 3, 4, & 5 in the lineup. Just a guess.

3. Xeyad macrumors 6502

I have a few theories for Apple to tackle this price point:

A)
    - Updated iPad Mini without Retina (A6 chip) or Current gen iPad Mini = $299 ~ $329
    - iPad Mini w/Retina Display = $399
    - iPad 5 = $499

B)
    - Updated iPad Mini without Retina (A6 chip) or Current gen iPad Mini = $299 ~ $329
    - iPad 5 without Retina Display = $399
    - iPad 5 w/Retina Display = $499

C)
    - iPad 4 = $399
    - iPad 5 = $499

D)
    - iPad Mini w/Retina Display = $329
    - iPad 4 = $399
    - iPad 5 = $499

To be honest, I find option A to be the most realistic for Apple. If they're going to make a Retina iPad Mini, I think it's going to be damn hard to keep it at $329 with Apple's profit margins, which already is a bit less than Apple's other products. If they make a Retina iPad Mini, then Apple will most definitely keep the current gen iPad Mini or slightly updated, and have the Retina Mini at a higher price proint, at $399.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

5. 007p macrumors 6502a

Won't they want to dump ipad 2/3 asap to get rid of non-lightning devices? Wasn't this part of the reason they brought out ipad 4 in first place or at best a plus?

6. octatonic macrumors regular

octatonic

iPhone 4s is still available though.

I reckon the iPad 2 will be around for another year & both it and iPhone 4s will be discontinued next year.

7. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

iPad 2 go away

I completely agree, I would love to know how many iPad 2 have been sold since the iPad mini's release, my guess is not many.

They'll want a non-retina last gen SoC option to keep the price low & compete with the Kindle fires. It makes more sense to do this in the mini format vs the regular iPad.

8. blarivee macrumors 6502

9. saberahul macrumors 68040

3 was discontinued. 2, 4, 5 (future) exist on Apple store.

10. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Yeah, you're right. Maybe they stay with the 2 as the entry level model and then just sell the 5 and the mini? 3 different ipad options seeems to cover enough bases.

11. benji888 macrumors 68000

benji888

I think C) for now. non-retina Mini either drops to $299 or updated w/A6 for $329, iPad 4 16GB only $399, iPad 5 $499. Retina iPad Mini next year. They couldn't keep the iPad 2, I've only read a few ppl say it runs iOS 7 alright, mostly it's slow/laggy. A5 is just not enough to really do iOS 7 well. There's a pretty big speed jump from A5 to A6. (iPhone 5 (A6) does all of iOS 7 well. Anything less starts dropping features for it to work).

One of my main considerations for C) over A) is that, Apple doesn't usually drop a product like they did with iPad 3. The iPad 3 had some screen & battery heat issues, main reason for dropping it fast. Apple will usually get 2-3 cycles out of a design if they can. (4S is still here, to my surprise). The iPad 2 just won't cut it, I'm surprised it got iOS 7, really. iPad 4 does ok with iOS 7, they will drop it $100 and keep making it at one memory size. (see note)

I have wondered if they will just do something different with the Mini, but, no rumors line up. I was thinking, maybe polycarbonate back non-retina Mini w/A6 for $299 (or less?). Later, current Mini design w/Retina next year. But, I don't think they can do this unless they do it at the same time. Plus, the mini, isn't it thinner than the iPhone 5c? Nah.

Note: The main reason they dropped the iPhone 5 and took the innards and made iPhone 5c was this: they needed to change the cell chips anyway, need 2 iPhones to work on emerging markets' LTE networks, and iPhone 5 doesn't have the ability. iPhone 5 is just fine for iOS 7 though, so they kept the rest of the innards. Now, 5c & 5s share the same LTE/cell configurations, so they have 2 iPhones they can sell in emerging markets, including China.

OK...now that I wrote all that...maybe a modified
    D) current non-retina Mini $285?
    retina Mini $339?
    iPad 4 (16GB only) $399 &
    iPad 5 $499.