Which iPad or Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by LERsince1991, Nov 28, 2015.

1. LERsince1991, Nov 28, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2015

LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

Hi,

I have waited a long time to buy my next significant purchase from Apple but I am still unsure whether they have the product I need.

The Brief
    I commute on the train and would like to make that time useful for reading and adding to existing indesign documents (that use master slides, character styles etc).

I have also moved into a new apartment and would like a device for use within the house rather than a laptop for my girlfriend and I do use in the lounge. (iPad)

Current Devices
    I have a MacBook Pro that I have had for years and years, fully upgraded and still runs a charm, no need to change it except I only use it in my home office now so it's not portable because it's fairly heavy for me to be carrying around with me (13" MacBook Pro).

I also have an iPhone 6s.

Possible solutions and Limitations
    So I have waited for the iPad pro for a while hoping I could do what I wanted to with it in one device (editing on the train and use within the house). The screen size is fantastic, the price is high but I would get over that. The main issue is that for that kind of money and a pro stamp I would need to be able to edit indesign documents on it properly and go between the desktop app and iPad pro app constantly, I don't believe this to be the case. This is a shame because the screen size is fantastic and a keyboard can be added for typing.

Therefore I thought about dropping down to the normal size iPad, but it hasn't been updated in over a year and I can't bring myself to buy a year old device, no way. It's cheaper than the pro by a long way and at the moment it can do the same as the pro so it's good value, but the smaller screen may be an issue

Perhaps a new 12" MacBook? Would be great on the train, but would still not get used in the house. I'm not sure I could also bring myself to buy a new laptop (dying class). I will also be doing a lot of reading on the train which the MacBook will not be very good for.

I could get both the new MacBook for the work and an iPad Air for the house when updated - but I believe I should be able to do this in one device.

I have seen the surface pro 3, looks like a great contender but would break my 8 year tie to apple products :( but it's exactly what my situation is crying out for.

Another possibility is that I ditch indesign and create a really good template in pages to edit seamlessly on the iPad. However I feel this will compromise the work.

Any advice?

2. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Try to arrange going to an Apple Store and see if you can test out your ideas on the given products you are interested in. Candidly, I don't see the iPad as a replacement for a laptop but an extension of a subset (web browsing etc.) and a few apps that don't stand up to full robust apps for more typical computers. Though you mentioned the Windows product, there may be others out there that would work well. Years ago, there was a company that converted Macbooks to touchscreen and fold back devices so you would have a heavier type of tablet experience or use it like a regular laptop. I don't know if they are around but chances are OWC might know.

Perhaps something in the middle would be workable like the AIR series of Mac laptops. It is not very powerful but has some advantages over the iPads.

3. lclev macrumors regular

lclev

First off - trading Indesign for Pages - unless what you are doing is extremely uncomplicated and simple, would create more work and frustration. I use Indesign at work and create all the booklets, posters, and any other print materials that are needed. I would not even know why I would attempt to create them in Pages.

As for using an iPad Pro with Indesign, Adobe does have Comp CC which provides and Indesign component. I have not tried it but it might be worth looking into.

4. LERsince1991, Nov 30, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015

LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

The converted MacBook is the Modbook Pro but it's too expensive and too clunky. I'm considering a MacBook now (see below).

I am going to do a mock up of a document in pages and indesign but I suspect it will compromise the work too much switching to pages. Adobe Comp CC is not capable.

I am considering 2 3 options;

1/ (+£480) (+reading/ notes) score: +1
    Portable Basic Reading & Notes: iPhone (6s)
    Portable Extended Reading & Notes: iPad (Air 2)
    Desktop InDesign Documents & CAD: MacBook (13" '08 Uni)

2/ (+£800) (+Portable Docs, +Reading, -Software Change) score:+1
    Portable Extended Reading & Pages Document Editing: iPad (Pro)
    Desktop Pages Document Creation & CAD: MacBook (13" '08 Uni)

3/ (+£500) (+Portable Docs, -Reading) score: +1
    Portable Extended Reading, InDesign Documents & CAD: New smaller Macbook

4/ (+£980) (+Portable Docs, +Reading) score: +2
    Portable Extended Reading & Notes: iPad (Air 2)
    Portable InDesign Documents & CAD: new smaller MacBook

5. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wouldn't even consider Pages, its not really a great app to create anything then fairly simple documents.

I think other then the Indesign stuff, the iPad Pro would be a nice solution, but the major downside of this, is is an iOS device and so you are limited to only mobile apps which is the issue, i.e., no Indesign.

The Surface Pro 4 is an excellent option, you get the tablet like usage, the Type Cover that is now available is much better then the older version, its fast, MS did a great job with fixing the performance issues with the SP3 (which I own) and thanks to the creative cloud, you have a cross platform solution, i.e., indesign will work

7. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

I just can't bring myself to buy the surface and move away from macs, but its unbelievable how their product is so much better

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

If you find it so much better for you, then go for it, it doesn't sound like you are heavily invested in OSX software or anything like that so why would you buy apple devices that aren't what you want??

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I understand, I was dealing with similar issues, in choosing between a dell XPS 8900 vs. iMac. Though for my use case, the iMac had more going for it, so I opted for that.

As for the Surface Pro, get the tool that best fits your needs, if that meets all your criteria then buy it. You will find fairly quickly if you don't like it, or do not like windows and then you can return it. Like Apple they have a 14 day return period, why not use that to determine if the computer is for you or not.