Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigbadneil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2009
Hi
My initial thought was to get the new 12.9" iPad Pro1TB model but after reviewing and buying the
I decided to get the 256GB model instead.

But now after reading this blog http://austinmann.com/trek/ipad-pro-photographer-iceland I may just get myself the 1TB model after all (I too have the Hasselblad 100c Camera that has RAW files of around 250MB each).

My question is this, is the 6GB of RAM really going to make a huge difference over the 4GB of RAM in say the 256GB model especially with Photoshop CC coming to the iPad pro in the New Year?

Neil

wittyphrase

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2017
New York
I’d say most people wouldn’t notice the difference but if you’re shooting a Hasselblad, those are monstrous files. It suggests to me you’re working as a professional photographer and if you’re going to lean on the iPad as your primary device for editing I can’t see why you wouldn’t want to max it out. And when they do release the full PS app for the iPad please record yourself editing those raw files so I can see what that’s like!

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Austin is a cool dude. I got the 1TB ipad pro. I will be editing photos & videos as well and i think the extra ram will help - especially when photoshop comes out. I went with the 11” model however. I travel a lot, and preffered it’s size. I would highly recommend taking a look at the 11” if you travel. Yes, the new 12.9” with slimmer bezels is more portable than the last one, but i still found it too big for my needs. But thats me.

Wether you go with the 11” or 12.9”, these things scream!

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
One comment - like in the video, I use a RAVPower FileHub and Samsung SSD with my iPP 10.5 for RAW photo backup. The SSD is super fast but the RAVPower is not. It is still best available for doing this but don't expect blazing transfer speeds.

Last edited:

bigbadneil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2009
Austin is a cool dude. I got the 1TB ipad pro. I will be editing photos & videos as well and i think the extra ram will help - especially when photoshop comes out. I went with the 11” model however. I travel a lot, and preffered it’s size. I would highly recommend taking a look at the 11” if you travel. Yes, the new 12.9” with slimmer bezels is more portable than the last one, but i still found it too big for my needs. But thats me.

Wether you go with the 11” or 12.9”, these things scream!
Do you have and use the Keyboard? I'm in too minds about getting that........
Neil

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Do you have and use the Keyboard? I'm in too minds about getting that........
Neil

Actually no. With ipads, i prefer to go keyboardless. Although, many of the people i know and follow who edit video & photos do prefer the keyboard to do shortcuts with. So i say, whatever works for you.

Robertjan88

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2018
One comment - like in the video, I use a RAVPower FileHub and Samsung SSD with my iPP 10.5 for RAW photo backup. The SSD is super fast but the RAVPower is not. It is still best available for doing this but don't expect blazing transfer speeds.
What kind of speeds do you get when transferring files to and from the iPad using RavPower?

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
I thought the additional RAM was because of the much larger 1TB Hard Drive requiring a larger amount of memory for paging the drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.