iPad Which iPad Should I Buy?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nviz22, Apr 21, 2014.

1. nviz22 macrumors 68040

nviz22

I am getting an iPad. I am looking between the iPad 4 refurb from Apple for $339.99 CAD and the iPad Mini Retina Display for $419.99 CAD. I was thinking the iPad Mini Retina would be a bit more future proof plus the form factor is beneficial. I also like the idea of a 64 bit processor. Is it worth the extra $80 CAD? I also want to know what benefits besides the bigger screen if I go with the iPad 4? I had the 4, but I sold it to a friend to get $ for a PS4. Now, I am back in the market for the iPad. Thoughts?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd look at which form factor is more comfortable for your day to day usage rather then prospective future proofing. That is how does the mini feel today regardless of what apple may do in the future.

I agree the rMini is probably more future proof, i.e., will be supported longer but what good is that, if you find it too small and don't like it.

3. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I have owned the iPad 1, 3, and Air. I just sold my Air to get the rMini. I bought my wife the original Mini and I really liked the size of it. I have found that in the week since I got my rMini I have used it a lot more than my Air, and my iPhone.

I would go check out both the full size and Mini at a store (if possible) and see which one you think would work best for your needs.

Either way, enjoy your new iPad!

4. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 68040

nviz22

Is the Processing Speed noticeable between the 3 and the Retina Mini? Thanks as well.

5. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I got rid of my 3 back in November and I just got my rMini so I don't quite remember. I did notice a little bit of increased speed between the 3 and the Air though.

6. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

I suspect it mostly comes down to which size you would prefer. Some people really like the compact form factor of the mini. Some find the screen cramped and prefer the the full size iPads. The faster processor of the rmini is nice, but unless you use it for intensive games, in my opinion it's not as big a factor as size.

7. kristalsoldier macrumors regular

kristalsoldier

Why don't you start by asking which iPad you SHOULD NOT buy and go from there?

8. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Don't buy the iPad 1, 2, or 3.

There, now we are back to the OP's question.

9. kristalsoldier macrumors regular

kristalsoldier

Actually, no, we are not. The OP has sold an iPad 4, but remains interested in it. The OP is interested in the rMini and the OP now has the option for the Air. Between these three, the OP needs to ask "what do I want from my iPad?" The possible answers are quite finite, if you think about it: rMini for mobility, iPad 4 for lower cost, Air for weight savings + screen estate. In effect, therefore, the OP has to choose between these options and that, essentially, comes down to (1) desired function (2) personal preference and (3) available funds. Assuming that the third point is irrelevant, then it comes down to the first two. Of these, we can only assist with the first, namely, desired function. The second is totally the OP's call.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I don't have the rMini, but I have the Air, which should be the same speed as the rMini, and I still have my 3 to compare. My experience is that for most uses, like web surfing, reading ebooks, email, etc. I don't notice any speed difference. Perhaps complex games open a bit faster, if you search through a big PDF, the results may come back a bit faster, etc. But you are trying to decide between the 4 and the rMini, and the 4 is faster than the 3, so... My feeling is, speed shouldn't be a factor in your decision.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

12. AppleWindowsFan macrumors member

I have a 4 and am happy with it. I'd recommend that or the Air.

13. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 68040

nviz22

Does the R-Mini get a 16:9 aspect ratio as well?

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

16:9 is the iPhone 4 on, isn't it? All iPads are 4:3.

15. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 68040

nviz22

I wouldn't know because I have used nothing but Android for my cell phones. I have a Note 3 and that has a 16:9 aspect ratio. I remember having a widescreen option on some tablets, but if I watch Netflix, can I get a widescreen that's not too block like?

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I'm afraid not. I mean, it doesn't bother me, as I just focus on the pictures and not the black space, but other people are apparently bothered by it.

In any case, all iPads, including the minis, are definitely 4:3.

17. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

You can expand the video to make it fill out the space. I know it crops the picture but I'd prefer to do that than have black bars.

I can do that in all the streaming apps I use and I also use an app called Jasmine that allows me to play YouTube videos full screen.

18. nviz22, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014

nviz22 thread starter macrumors 68040

nviz22

19. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Slate was the first generation of the original Mini. Once the rMini came out in Space Grey the original Mini became available in that color as well.

20. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 68040

nviz22

So it's just a color option rather than an issue with the internals being different? Will Apple still honor a warranty if I had a Slate iPad?

21. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Visit your local Apple store, use each of the devices you're considering and make a decision.

22. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I think the internals are the same, but I could be wrong. EDIT: According to the last link the internals are the same.

The warranty is one year from the new purchase date, as long as it is within one year the color won't matter.

More info: http://www.macrumors.com/2013/10/24/non-retina-space-gray-ipad-mini-starts-appearing-in-apple-retail-stores/

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/10/24/apple-stores-begin-stocking-space-gray-first-gen-ipad-mini-

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/10/apple-brings-its-space-gray-color-option-to-the-ipad-mini

23. HenryDJP macrumors 603

The only things I will say negative about the iPad 4 is 1), it's heavy, especially when compared to the iPad Air or Mini (of course) but it also gets very warm. I was at the Apple Store yesterday and checked out multiple iPad 4's. That thing gets too warm and will leave you with sweaty palms. The Airs were very cool to the touch as well as the mini. So OP, if you haven't checked out the iPads it's best to go the Apple store if you can and check them out. The iPad 4 may not be the best choice as well as the Mini. It's pretty small and the screen quality or brightness isn't as great as the Air.

24. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 68040

nviz22

I got the Mini for $249 from Best Buy through a Staples Price Match. Thanks for the help guys.

25. parkp81 macrumors member

Did you get the one with retina display for that price?