Which Ipad to buy: 1, 2 or, ,um, 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by avincent52, Jul 19, 2012.

1. avincent52 macrumors regular

My first gen Ipad is having a serious screen problem--the glass is fine, but major portions of the screen are darkened or have random lines.

Here are my replacement options:

Ipad 1, 32 Gig, 3G + Wifi: $250 I'm assuming that if I bring it to the Apple store they'll give me the option of replacing it for $249.

Ipad 2, 16 Gig, Wifi: $349: Option 2 is an Ipad 2 at the new lower price ($399) minus the $50 education gift card.

New Ipad with retina display: $449 15 Gig, Wifi: the final option is the latest gen Ipad for $499, minus $50 for the gift card.

Which of these makes the most sense? (I don't use the 3g, and i while I do like to pack it with video, I could live with 16 gigs of storage.)

If I pay $249 for a "new" first gen Ipad, could I sell it easily for more than the $249 right now and put that money toward one of the newer models?

TIA

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I would not buy the first one at this point. I use mine in the kitchen and that is suitable, but basically it is not going to run as smooth as you'd want. Why invest in something that seems to be walking out the door at this point?

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The one is certainly out now, but prices for the 2 secondhand are insanely high. If I was in the market for an iPad now, I'd buy the 3...I have a 64GB wifi 3, and it's great....The 2 is still a powerful tablet though, it's just the price that doesn't make any sense to me.

Remember that the ipad1 will not run IOS 6 when it's released in the fall...Another thing to consider before you buy.

4. R1PPER macrumors 6502

Why don't you just wait for the ipad 4. Thats what im doing, but i do have an ipad 2.

5. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

thats what i said about my ex

6. MitchBuch macrumors newbie

If I where you I would wait the next gen iPad, but if you want to buy something as replacement you better buy a first option. :)

7. ssgrif macrumors member

depends what you're after yet you may want to wait to find out which option is best once apple release the rumored ipad mini later this year. At its expected price point it might be just what you're looking for.

8. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

I agree, I wouldn't buy the one. The latest IOS versions have made its perfomance very poor. The four is too far out and without any significant improvements that we know of. The two... yeah, a so-so upgrade from the one. So that leaves the three with the beautiful retina screen that stands out as the obvious choice, in my opinion.

9. RUGERMAN macrumors regular

You can get an Ipad 2 for $319 on the refurb store. Just another option.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Haven't we all!?

11. avincent52 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the input.
    Waiting for the Ipad 4 isn't really an option. Our Ipad was in heavy use between my daughter and my wife (and me....)

Two questions:
    a) does the $50 gift card offer apply to refurb Ipads?
    b) Is there a resale market for an Ipad one--i.e. would I be able to get $300-$350 for an unopened refurb original Ipad, 32 gigs with 3G?
    IIRC,the Apple store was selling a refurb 16gig 3g Ipad 1 for $349.

12. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

It came out in march and ur already wanting a new one? Pfft

13. avincent52 thread starter macrumors regular

Just to make it clear.
    My Ipad is an early first gen, so it's more than two years old. And it's broken.
    I'm just trying to get some advice on my repair/replacement options.

14. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

lol @ waiting for the nextgen iPad when we are in all likelihood closer to the release date of the 3rd iPad than the 4th iPad.

Get the 2 or 3. I'd probably get the 3 even if I had to save for an extra couple weeks just to prevent buyer's remorse, even if the tablet itself wasn't any more functional.

There's also the very real possibility that at some point an OS upgrade will come out (7? 8?) that will be compatible with the 3rd gen, but not the 2nd gen... so that is definitely something to consider.

Also, I'm not in an area with LTE coverage at the moment, but I suspect that is coming soon and I believe the 3rd gen iPads are LTE, but the gens are not. That is also something to consider (if you aren't getting a wifi only one).

15. x&y macrumors member

I paid £150 for my friends iPad when he bought The New iPad for £499 and apart from him having a camera and FaceTime, plus the slightly better retina screen, I can't tell a difference.

I am really happy with my original iPad 1 and I wouldn't want to spend the extra cash upgrading to the 2 or 3 because I have no use for a camera, FaceTime or the retina display to make them worth paying more than I need to.

The iPad 1 runs iOS 5 nice and smoothly and although it won't be able to upgrade to iOS 6, I'm not too fussed about that in the slightest as I think iOS 6 is kind of underwhelming to be honest.

It kind of depends what you want the iPad for. If you just want to browse the internet, check your e-mails and listen to music etc then the iPad 1 is absolutely great. It's also fine for playing most games, although some do benefit from the extra RAM on the iPad 2 and 3.

I'd only get an iPad 2 or 3 if you really want FaceTime and the added camera. The 3 also has the 'future proof' option, but there's something I really like about the iPad 1 for me. It just seems to be the right option for what I need.

16. kokhean, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012

kokhean macrumors regular

Difference between the first generation iPad and the third generation iPad is huge.

768 MB difference in RAM
    Apple A5X - install lots of tweaks and you will see the difference
    Bluetooth 4.0 - battery efficient
    4G LTE support
    Gyroscope support
    Thinner and lighter
    iOS 6 support
    Retina display - it may look as if it is an over hyped display, but trust me, it's not
    Smart Cover/Smart Case support
    FaceTime camera
    AirPlay mirroring

The best upgrade is... yes, you've guessed it right. It's the retina display. It may look as if it is an over hyped display, but trust me, it's not. At first, it's hard to tell the difference. But after using the new iPad for close to one month, I can tell that the iPad 2's screen is blurry.

17. avincent52 thread starter macrumors regular

It's also more than double the price, given that my current Ipad is 32 gig, 3g and the cheapest Ipad3 would be 16gig WiFi.

18. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

That's what just did. It comes with a brand new battery and outer shell and 1 year warranty. Too good a deal to pass up.

19. Fontane macrumors regular

I haven't seen any non-3g Ipad 2 models on the refurb store for over a week. When did you buy one?

20. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

About a month ago. They sell out quick so keep checking the site for new inventory since anything that is not in inventory will not show up on the site at all.

This site lets you know all the refurb options, what's in stock and how long something has been out of stock. I think you can sign up for an email alert when something you want is in stock
    http://www.refurb.me/us/

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

There is no way I would buy a 1st gen iPad now. Personally, I'd bite the bullet and get the iPad 3.