Which iPad to buy (capacity)?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pudrums, Jul 8, 2010.

1. pudrums macrumors 6502a

Hey there,

I want to buy an iPad soon. I will definitely be getting the WiFi model, because I already own an iPhone with unlimited 3G and don't feel the need for two 3G devices. Only thing I'm not sure about is which capacity to buy. Things I will be using it for:

- iBooks (my Uni also only uses digitalized pdf-books)
    - other e-reading (Kindle, magazines etc.)
    - surfing / mail
    - gaming
    - no music or movies

I guess it's quite safe to say I won't be needing 64Gb, but will 16GB be sufficient or should I invest the 100€ more to buy the 32GB model?

Thanks!

2. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

My general advice is to get as much storage as you can afford. Stuff is getting bigger (better quality movie files, better quality music, etc), and one day in the future you will be glad you went for the bigger option.

However, as you won't be using it for music or movies, then just go for the 16GB one.

3. pudrums thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I'm kinda leaning towards the 16GB one, too. I could affort 64 Gb, but why spend 800€ when I just don't need it?

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...for 100 more you get double the storage capacity... why wouldn't you?

5. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

6. kguk macrumors newbie

kguk

I'd definitely go for the 32 GB model, $100 dollars in the long term isn't a huge extra cost to incur and over time like the previous folks have stated, music and especially movies will be larger in file size with better quality. Personally I'm holding off buying the 1st gen iPad and waiting for the next version which should include the obvious things currently missing in the first gen... Camera for face time.
    I am sorely tempted though but I'm trying to be sensible with my $.
    Enjoy which ever model you get. Gluck :)

7. pudrums thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll have a talk with my boss, maybe he can buy me one with his business account (meaning no tax plus discount from our reseller). If he's ok with that I'll get a bigger model.

8. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Add everything you expect to put on to the device. If the collective size is over 7GB (half the capacity of the 16GB iPad), then go for the 32GB.
    Your collections will grow, and it sure is nice to bring everything with you.

9. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

I would buy 32 if I could do it all over again just so I can fit my whole iTunes music and podcast. My 64gb iPad is overkill. And while I've loaded it up with movies it's too much of a pain in the but to transcode and upload to iTunes. Its better for netflix of abc apps where you can stream. While I've loaded it with several movies I've only watched movies on that thing a few time only.

10. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

In the first post he states he won't be using it for movies or music.