All iPads Which iPad to get my girlfriend?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PaulWog, Oct 18, 2014.

1. PaulWog Suspended

Birthday coming up. She wants an iPad. She likes the regular and the mini.

The iPad Air 2 looks nice, it has faster graphics and processing which is nice. The battery life is purported to be good.

The iPad Mini 3 looks nice as well, and is cheaper... but then the iPad Mini 2 looks identical to the iPad Mini 3 (for all intents and purposes), and it's around the $300 mark.

Any input?
    - My main concern is the hardware difference between the iPad Minis and the iPad Air 2. My iPad 3 keyboard lags ever since iOS 7, and iOS 8 only made things worse, despite a fresh factory reset and fresh install of the operating system. I can only imagine there's a limited lifespan on each iPad in terms of how long it takes before Apple releases an update to lag the older one.
    - My second main concern is price, we're both still finishing up with university.
    - My third concern is availability... will the iPad Mini 2 be available in a month from now? Should I snag it now, if that's what I go with?

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Get her the mini. 2, or 3, they'll have the same performance.

3. iceperson macrumors 6502

I bought my wife the a refurb air, but she's informed me it's too big/heavy for reading on for any amount of time, so back it goes to get a mini...

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

The Air is nice since it has more screen real estate but it's a bit bigger. Minis are more compact and easier on the hands.

5. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Need more info.

Will she take an iPad with her wherever she goes? Mini 2.

Will she be using it mostly at home? Air 2.

Mini 3 is the least viable choice Apple has ever offered.

6. AdonisSMU, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014

AdonisSMU macrumors 603

How long have you dated her? What does she want?

Id get her what she wants assuming its appropriate given the amount of time youve been dating her.

7. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Also, how does she perform? Will an iPad improve her performance or open up other 'avenues'.
    #

8. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

LOL!!!

but seriously....

The price is not overall that different between ipad air and ipad air 2. I have found (ESPECIALLY WITH APPLE PRODUCTS) that you should get the best that there is, there is longer life to the products. I am still working my iMac 2009 27" quad core.

I think you should ask her what she prefers of the two. Mini is a pretty good deal (ipad mini retina) and there is no upgrade worth the price on the new models.

You could always spring for an ipad air or refurbished ipad air (she shouldn't know the difference) and as long as both have warranties available (if this is important to you) then it's all gold.

9. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

This sums it up perfectly.

10. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Throw the mini 3 right out the window for a choice. It's a joke.

As others have eluded to: if the ultimate in portability is a top criteria then the mini 2 is the right call. Otherwise, the Air is a more powerful device and the larger screen is appreciated, trust me.

11. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

The mini and the air are the same in terms of portability IMO. There isnt any place you could bring the mini and not bring the Air. The proposition for a mini no longer makes that much sense IMO

12. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502a

What changed since a year ago, as far as portability goes?

13. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

For me nothing. There was no place id use an iPad air that I couldnt use a mini. Standing up sitting down on a train or on a plane.

----------

She might think the guy is weird if he buys something not appropriate for the level of their relationship.

14. New Apple macrumors regular

15. 1981d macrumors 6502

iPad mini 2 is the most you should get for a girlfriend. Get her the air for ur first anniversary.#

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Agree as far as bringing places part, but the mini fits in smaller bags than the Air, which might be important if the gf is not in the habit of carrying larger bags. My mom has an iPad Air and an original Mini, and the Air stays at home while the mini goes with her when she goes out, because it fits in her purse and is much lighter than the Air.

17. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

18. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

It depends upon the person. For me, an iPad Air would have about the same portability as a macbook Air; they both would go in my briefcase to be carried around. On the other hand, the iPad mini fits in my suit jacket pocket, which makes it almost as portable as my cell phone. Again, it depends on the person.

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Exactly. For me, the MacBook Air requires a separate computer bag, while the iPad Air slips into my sling bag that I carry anyway. Therefore, for me the iPad Air is more portable than the MBA, whereas for RickTaylor, they are the same in terms of portability. The mini does fit in smaller bags than the Air, but since I have to bring my iPad Air sized bags to work anyway, for me, there is little difference between the mini and Air in terms of picking out bags for them.

I do have to point out that regardless of what bag we use to carry them, the mini is easier to take out and use than the Air, and the iPad Air is easier to take out and use than the MacBook. The smaller a device, the more discreet and managable they are to use in tight spaces.

20. negroswamy macrumors member