Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

F.Garvin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
Hey Everyone -

I have a friend who asked me which iPad to get, but I'm unsure what to recommend. I know they have an iPad Air at the moment, not sure which gen(I'm thinking 1st Gen). They like the thinness of the Air, so I got to thinking about the Air 2 cause you can find it less expensive, but is it outdated? They don't need a ton of performance, just media and a few card games. What would be the best best option for those tasks? Budget is around $500 and rhey'd like at least 64GB, if not 128GB. Thanks for any help.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
The air 2 while still performing alright is a few years old - any internet research will confirm this. Like mr_jomo recommended the Air 3 seems a good match.

badatusernames

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2018
Since performance isn’t really a concern I would recommend the budget iPad (128 GB) or like others have pointed out the iPad Air 3.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
With a budget of USD 500,- the iPad Air 3 (2019) sounds like a match in price, capability and a significant improvement for them at the same time.

Ditto here. The Air 3 will definitely suit the OP's friend and comes right at their budget.

If they want to save $30, they can go with the 10.5" IPP which is refurbished on Apple's web site for $470.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I know they have an iPad Air at the moment, not sure which gen(I'm thinking 1st Gen).
The 1st generation had the old style home button.
[doublepost=1558364835][/doublepost]
They like the thinness of the Air, so I got to thinking about the Air 2 cause you can find it less expensive, but is it outdated? They don't need a ton of performance, just media and a few card games. What would be the best best option for those tasks? Budget is around $500 and rhey'd like at least 64GB, if not 128GB. Thanks for any help.
You should definitely buy the iPad Air 3.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
For their needs the 6th gen ipad is plenty but if they want to use their full $500 budget then the air 3 is better obviously

F.Garvin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
Thanks all for the replies. We ended up going with the new 128GB sixth generation being that they weren't a power user and space was more important than performance. Thanks again.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
Thanks all for the replies. We ended up going with the new 128GB sixth generation being that they weren't a power user and space was more important than performance. Thanks again.

Walmarts have the iPad Pro 2nd gen 10.5” 64GB new for $299.

iPad Pro 2nd gen 10.5” 256GB new for $399

These pads have a 120HZ Pro-Motion display, quad speakers, 4GB of ram too!

Google brickseek and search iPad Pro 2nd gen with your zip code.

This is not a advertised sale. You must go in a Walmart and buy one.

Go here; and type in your zip code.

Another member on here bought a 256GB last night for $399. He drove a little but they had (3) in stock.

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=55900742

Last edited:

roadkill401

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2015
I just upgraded from my first gen iPad Air to a new 11" Pro. At the same time, I upgraded my mothers first gen iPad Air to the 2019 Air. She loves it and finds it much faster and easier to use.

I mention both as you really need to look a bit deeper into the recommendation. My upgrade, I went PRO as I wanted to do more. I didn't do art or annotation photography with my original AIR. it wasn't capable of doing those things so I never tried. You can't just say what they were doing in the past, but also ask what options they would like to do in the future? The original didn't have touch ID. Do they consider that to be a plus? Would they prefer to have face ID? Do they want to use a pencil with the unit? If yes, would the pensil1 charge and syncing turn them off?

something to think about and ask them

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Hey Everyone -

I have a friend who asked me which iPad to get, but I'm unsure what to recommend. I know they have an iPad Air at the moment, not sure which gen(I'm thinking 1st Gen). They like the thinness of the Air, so I got to thinking about the Air 2 cause you can find it less expensive, but is it outdated? They don't need a ton of performance, just media and a few card games. What would be the best best option for those tasks? Budget is around $500 and rhey'd like at least 64GB, if not 128GB. Thanks for any help.
Then the latest iPad Air 3 fits the bill. 64GB, latest A12 chip, $500. If they prefer more storage, the 2018 iPad is also a great choice, 128GB for $430.

I wouldn’t get the Air 2 at this point. Even used, I doubt it would be much cheaper than the 2018 iPad, especially at higher capacity storage. The Air 2 was great, but the A8X is reaching its age. The A10 and newer chip will provide smoother experience and longer supported life. I mean you don’t want to be asked a year or two from now about why their Air 2 is no longer supported with the latest iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.