All iPads Which iPad with MBA 11"

Discussion in 'iPad' started by smashie, Oct 26, 2013.

1. smashie, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013

smashie macrumors regular

My current main machine is a 11" 2013 MBA and I love it. Also have iPad mini and I also love it, especially it form factor. I do however feel that every so often it is a little hard to read for any length of time on it and I revert back to the MBA.

I am definitely upgrading to a new iPad with the faster chip but not sure what one to go for.

Will the new mini make a big difference with the retina display when reading documents or am I going to have the same problem?

I really like the new air with it's reduced weight and size but really worried that it is so close to the MBA and I will quickly disgard one and hence a waste of money.

Will the mini make more sense with the MBA?

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

My only computer is a 13" 2011 air. I am getting the retina mini. I suggest you do as well :)

3. SamuraiMinis macrumors member

Agreed! Sounds like the new retina iPad mini is right for you!!

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

The Air is not that much bigger than the Mini. If he was reaching for his MBA because he felt the Mini screen was a bit small, retina ain't gonna fix that.

I'd say go with the iPad Air and bask in all it's 9.7" glory....

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

My mom has the 11 inch MBA and an iPad 2. She totally doesn't feel that having the two is redundant. In fact, since her current Mac Air is acting up, on Nov 1 she's planning to go to the store and pick up both a new Mac Air and the iPad Air. :D

6. smashie thread starter macrumors regular

I think you may be right, but can't help worry that its too close to the MBA in size, aagghh!!!

I think apple have been very clever with the 2 date launch making it impossibe to compare the 2 side by side.

Logic says wait till both are out then compare but i can't follow logic!!!!!

7. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

The MBA is still much bigger and more than twice as heavy as the iPad Air.

8. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

If one makes the other obsolete/redundant, it's not a waste of money. It would actually be freeing up money if you sell the other.

Get the size that makes the most sense for the uses of each.

9. badman89 macrumors regular

I'm currently in the same situation as you. The MBA 11" is my main machine, and I have an iPad mini which I use for reading and web browsing. I love it because feels (in size and weight) like I'm holding a paperback novel.

The main problem I face with my iPad mini is that I can't type on it. The on-screen keyboard is too small and cramped. This means that I can't use it in any situation where I need to take notes or type long emails / posts. The full-size iPad has a wonderful on-screen keyboard and I can type on it almost like it's a real keyboard.

I never switched to a full sized iPad because it was too heavy for me to hold in my hands while reading / browsing. For this reason I'm thinking of migrating to an iPad Air.

Anyway, the best thing to do is to wait till they are both released, then check them both out at the store and see which one feels more comfortable in your hands.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I don't understand why you worry about the two being close in size. They are two very different devices. Think about all the ways you use your mini now. The iPad Air will be the same, only with a larger screen. Now think about all the things that you do on the MBA that can't be done on the iPad mini. Not just it's more comfortable to do on the MBA, things that just can't be done on the iPad, period. Those things you will still do on the MBA. In the end, there is very little overlap in the way you use these devices.

Yes, there are some things that can be done on both. For instance, I'm now writing this post on my iPad, but I could equally do it on my MBA. However, I happen to be lounging in bed with my morning coffee, with the MBA out on my desk in another room in my house. Ergo, I'm typing on my iPad. If, otoh, I decide to take a break in the middle of a workday to check out the forum, I do it from my MBA because I'm already sitting at my desk. So there's always a decisive reason which device to use. I almost never wonder which to use in any given moment.

11. smashie thread starter macrumors regular

I just found that when i had the iPad 2 and the MBA i went to the air more even for watching netflix, web browsing etc. especially when i travelled.

My logic was that if i had 2 devices of similar size ( although MBA was heavier) then bring the one with the full operating system. The mini was great as it was so much smaller that i could even fit it in a coat pocket.

I guess iPad air looks a lot more streamlined than previous versions and even though it wont fit in pockets i think i may be inclined to take both devices when i travel.