Which ipad2 for IOS development?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by anonymouse99, Dec 19, 2011.

1. anonymouse99 macrumors regular

I am starting to develop and test some apps on the ipad2. I'm thinking it makes sense to get the smallest IPad2 to simulate a worst case scenario for capacity.

Does it make sense to just get 16GB Wifi kind (I plan on tethering the unit with my 3G phone to be used as a Wifi hotspot). Is there any advantage to going any bigger for development?

Thoughts? Thanks!

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

All versions of iPad 2 got the same amount of RAM so there is no "worst case".

Get whichever one that works for your budget.

3. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Like the previous poster posted, all iPad 2 models are equal except for the storage capacity and cellular antenna.

If by "worst case scenario for capacity" your concern is the actual storage capacity then that should not be your concern. If THAT is your concern then you are developing a very weird app! :)

4. anonymouse99 thread starter macrumors regular

Many thanks! Yes, I did imply storage capacity (not RAM). I did not know if storage would even be an issue when writing apps - I'm also saving for an IPhone so I'll go for the smallest device right now.

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

One thing that might make a difference is if you would ever develop an app that needs GPS data, since only the 3G iPads have GPS.

6. anonymouse99 thread starter macrumors regular

Re: GPS data without a 3G plan?

Can you or someone confirm that one does not need to subscribe to a 3G plan to talk to the GPS?

i.e. can I develop and/or install apps that use the on-board GPS without a monthly data plan? Thanks.

7. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

You don't need to subscribe to data plan to use GPS but you do have to have a model with 3G support.

8. SplicedBanjo macrumors regular

If you really want to save money and go for "worst case scenario," you might consider an iPad 1 (refurbished if necessary).

I still use an iPad 1, and I feel bad about calling it "worst" anything, since I still like it a lot. But what I mean is that it is less powerful than any iPad 2, so if you can make your app work there, you should be in good shape!

9. anonymouse99 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks to everyone - I would have opted for the first gen IPad had it not been for the lack of cameras on it.