Which iPhone? 2G or 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mark-Mac-Attack, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Mark-Mac-Attack macrumors regular

I have both a 3G and 2G iPhones (both 8GB), with the intention of selling one of them.

Both are nearly new, especially the 2G iPhone.

I am on a proper iPhone tariff with o2 (UK).

I much prefer the way a 2G feels and looks.

What would happen if I had a problem with the 2G iPhone, and wanted a replacement from Apple etc.? Seeing as i've had a free upgrade to the 3G iPhone...

Which would you keep and why? I'm really not sure what to do.

Cheers,

Mark. :apple:

2. svndmvn Guest

It depends on your needs, If you feel you'd never use the GPS and the faster data transfers, it depends on the aesthetics you like more. Right now I'm annoyed with some of the spontaneous cracking of the plastic surrounding the headphone jack and I'd keep the 2g if I had one and it was actually covered by some sort of warranty in Italy. On a side note I believe only the 3g has some better glass protection, due to a rubber gasket between the glass and the aluminum bezel.

3. schizoidwoman macrumors regular

On top of a steep hill in West Yorkshire.
    I suppose it all comes down to which one you think you will suit you better. If you are perfectly happy with all aspects of the 2G and don't feel as though you are missing anything by not having 3G then keep the 2G, as you definitely prefer it aesthetically. Maybe it's going to come down to functions so is there anything the 3G has that you think you either want or need and if there is, do you value the functions more than the look and feel of the 2G?

I can't comment on the differences because I have no experience of the 2G but I do love my 3G iPhone!

Let us know what you decide to do...

4. Mark-Mac-Attack thread starter macrumors regular

I've just checked the warranty on the 2G and it has expired anyway... so i'd be risking it basically! This is highlighted by me replacing my 3G a few weeks ago due to a failed speaker (no not the microphone!). If the 2G decided not to play ball, i'd be left with a big bill or lack of a phone.

Other then the download rate, what other limitations does the 2G have? I used to have one, but there have been updates since and i'm unsure what applied for the 2G.

I can get some seriously good money for the 3G, although the 2G isn't exactly being given away on eBay at the moment, although going for less then when i sold my 2G before.

M

5. Mark-Mac-Attack thread starter macrumors regular

Well i've restored the 2G (was running 1.1.4), and am trying it out. Seems great. Am leaning towards keeping this and selling the 3G.

Can I just sell the 3G as it is? I.e. locked?

M :eek:

6. Shawn D macrumors regular

yeah sell the 3g. get more money in your pocket that way and if you are perfectly happy with the 2G stick with it. Also I would recommend unlocking the 3g. Its worth more that way.

7. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Unlock it using Yellowsn0w, you'll get more money for it that way