Which iPhone '4's can be unlocked?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by qzxyu, Feb 2, 2012.

1. qzxyu macrumors member

I currently have a 3gs and want to get a 4 untill the new iphone is released who knows when. I was looking on ebay and craigslist, but I am not sure if there are certain firmware / baseband combos, etc... that can not be unlocked for T-Mobile in the US. Anyone know which can and can not be unlocked?

Cheers!

2. b0bab0i macrumors regular

iPhone 4's with baseband 1.59.00 can be unlocked using ultrasn0w. (no hardware)

iPhone 4's with baseband 02.10.04 through 04.10.01 can be used with Gevey Sim I believe.

iPhone 4's with baseband 04.11.08 cannot be unlocked yet.

3. qzxyu thread starter macrumors member

Tried. No clear, concise answer. Thanks for the obvious though.

----------

Thanks!

4. 4sFanatic macrumors regular

What is wrong with you dude!
    The owners of this website went thru holy hell to get guys to come to this site, and you immediately direct people outta here, tell them to go to Google?
    What is wrong with you dude!
    Do you think the owners want you to be telling other members to leave MR and go to Google?
    People come here for help with their apple device, not to hear mo's telling them to go to Google:rolleyes:
    Flipping jerks ruining it for the rest of us, (seems to be a theme around here with the some of the "regulars") :rolleyes:
    (I think anyone answering someone's question with "Google it" should get an instant time out!)

5. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

I'm sure the owners love their bandwidth getting used up by the same questions a million times, too.

6. fullmanfullninj macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure they dgaf about a few kilobytes-megabytes of bandwidth for posting a question...

7. qzxyu thread starter macrumors member

Nearly every question in this forum could be answered through enough research, I always thought the point of the forum was to ask questions and get answers from people who already know the answer... Like what was done. If you are the traffic police and bandwith guard, maybe you shouldnt waste it with a "google" response.

8. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

So why didn't you do that?

It takes less time for you to look something up yourself then for you to ask here.

9. 4sFanatic macrumors regular

Maybe you should Google what "unique hits" are, because that is how advertising value is determinined. And when you have a handfull of jokers around here redirecting people to Google, it is the exact opposite of what the owners want!, (and it also sucks for the person asking the question). :eek:

10. qzxyu thread starter macrumors member

You clearly have no concept on the point of a forum...

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

actually the moderators have said several times that searching is preferred over duplicate threads asking the same questions over and over. Usually searching will find answers faster then asking. I can't tell you how many questions I answered myself searching for the answers that people ask. Searching is faster and more efficient so what's wrong with it. We still find plenty to talk about regardless.

12. bushido Suspended

bushido

Double Content drops the quality factor of a site in google search results so asking the same thing all the time is indeed bad. anyway to answer the question, a iPhone 4S cant be unlocked yet unless its factory unlocked obvs

- sent from a eCommerce student

13. 4sFanatic macrumors regular

That's 100% BS ;)

@Labdog .......... we're not talking about using the search fuction on this here site, we're talking about the DB's that constantly tell people to leave Mac Rumors and go to google, (but you already knew that right)?

14. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Using google ussually gets you in this forum in an already existing thread and thatway save time for everyone.

15. 4sFanatic macrumors regular

That's not tru at all.
    Usually, it leads back to old threads with old answers and old techniques, (exactly how I found this site, looking at old 4s JB threads that had 2000 replies but NO real JB info).
    Things change quickly in these digital times.

My point is that if you are not going to help a guy out with his question, then just move on. Pulling out your keyboard and posting "Google it" is bogus and helps no one, (just clutters up a thread and makes the OP feel bad).

16. labman macrumors 604

labman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Even if you think your right there is no reason to be disrespectful. Any way have a good day.

17. Mrlal8 macrumors member

I think the guy (sherif) is working on the 4.11.08 unlock. I stalk his twitter lol and someone asked him if they should just toss their iphone 4 because the unlock will never come. he replied with "dont do it yet until i tell you to throw it out ;)"

im hoping that means hes progressing through the unlock

also hes been inactive on twitter since jan 26 and same with muscle nerd so im hoping thats a sign of a possible unlock coming

18. labman macrumors 604

labman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Musclenerd is working on the unlock!

19. bushido Suspended

bushido

Uuuuhm no its not? the more DC you have on your page the worse your quality factor gets which also has an impact on your page ranking. Its all about SEO, i just wrote a 2 page exam about that but whatever

20. 4sFanatic macrumors regular

I could write a two page exam about cooking Ostrich, even though I don't know nothing about it. ;)
    So what you're saying is you agree with guys posting "Google it" ???
    If that's what you're saying, then you are one of the problems, not one of the solutions. (and I wrote a 2 page exam about that, so I know what I'm talking about) ;)

21. bushido Suspended

bushido

i'm not saying he should "google" it im just saying that doubled content isnt what a board wants unlike some others have said. but thats so off topic ...

22. 4sFanatic, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012

4sFanatic macrumors regular

OK, I can see your point, but some stuff isn't double content, and yet folks like melissa can't wait to just jump in and belittle people. Flat out bogus.

Another thing ........ MR is a place where the "upper 30%/well informed" iphone owners hang out. Their opinion on iphone is way more educated then lets say, your mom or sister, who just got their 1st iphone over x-mas and have never been to a Apple forum.

I started a thread the other day titled "Best PAID Cydia Apps" (even capitalized PAID) ;)
    I wanted to know what the MR community thought, and many of my purchases are based on the groups suggestions, (I don't care about random/old google lists).

So what was the very first reply I received? .....

Fortunately, guys like Melissa are in the minority on MR, and the new thread is very active and on it's 3rd page rt now. :) If you read the thread, you will see that members other than myself are now benefitting from the discussion.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1317940

There is also a big difference between suggesting someone use the search function on MR and telling them to leave and go Google it, (right Labdog) ;)
    These same folks could also reply with links if there are similar topics active, (that is if they are actually trying to help out the OP, not ridicule them). :)
    Peace