Carrier Which iPhone 6 to buy for unlocked version AT&T or Tmobile

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by navigates, Oct 8, 2014.

1. navigates macrumors 6502a

I'm planning on buying the full price version of the iphone 6? Which version should I pick. AT&T or Tmobile? are they unlocked if I pay the full price?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Verizon's phone is unlocked.
    I heard that T-Mo's phone bought from apple is unlocked, but if purchased from T-Mo, its not. ATT's phones are not unlocked.

3. navigates thread starter macrumors 6502a

Perfect. I'll buy the tmobile then but its not available in Los Angeles. :(. I'll keep looking for it. thanks for a quick reply

4. terraphantm macrumors 68040

AT&T phone should be unlocked if you pay full price for it

5. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Yes, I can confirm T-Mobile full price from the Apple Store is unlocked.

6. navigates thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks boshii

7. KPOM macrumors G5

If you are buying it from the Apple Store for full price, any of the AT&T, T-Mobile, or Verizon versions will be unlocked. Just tell them you want to buy the phone "device only, contract free." I bought the AT&T iPhone 5 in 2012 and Verizon iPhone 5s in 2013 from the Apple Store, and the T-Mobile iPhone 6 this year from apple.com. I have used them with AT&T without any issues. I did get a text message this year from AT&T stating that I needed to replace the SIM card to "activate all the features" (it still worked even with the old one), but that was taken care of with a quick trip to an AT&T store. I think it might be that the SIM in the 5 isn't provisioned for VoLTE while the SIM in the 6 is.

8. Spiffyis5150 macrumors member

I can confirm that buying a full price AT&T phone from the Apple retail store is unlocked. Just as KPOM said, "Device only, contract free"

9. navigates thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried looking for the AT&T version and cannot find it anywhere as well. :(
    Going to the apple store feels like a kid in the candy shop and the shopkeeper talks as if we are bunch of kids asking for a small treat.

Can't stand those 16 year old 'so called geniuses. Last year I had walked in to ask for a 5s and the person rudely replies. If we had it in stock we would have a board that says iPhone's in stock. To which I replied, when does apple put in stock signs for Mac's or AppleTV's. to which he said. "Like i said" anyways. offtopic.

Thanks all for your help.