Carrier Which iPhone 6 to buy for unlocked version AT&T or Tmobile

navigates

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I'm planning on buying the full price version of the iphone 6? Which version should I pick. AT&T or Tmobile? are they unlocked if I pay the full price?

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Verizon's phone is unlocked.
I heard that T-Mo's phone bought from apple is unlocked, but if purchased from T-Mo, its not. ATT's phones are not unlocked.

navigates

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Verizon's phone is unlocked.
I heard that T-Mo's phone bought from apple is unlocked, but if purchased from T-Mo, its not. ATT's phones are not unlocked.
Perfect. I'll buy the tmobile then but its not available in Los Angeles. :(. I'll keep looking for it. thanks for a quick reply

KPOM

macrumors G5
Oct 23, 2010
Perfect. I'll buy the tmobile then but its not available in Los Angeles. :(. I'll keep looking for it. thanks for a quick reply
If you are buying it from the Apple Store for full price, any of the AT&T, T-Mobile, or Verizon versions will be unlocked. Just tell them you want to buy the phone "device only, contract free." I bought the AT&T iPhone 5 in 2012 and Verizon iPhone 5s in 2013 from the Apple Store, and the T-Mobile iPhone 6 this year from apple.com. I have used them with AT&T without any issues. I did get a text message this year from AT&T stating that I needed to replace the SIM card to "activate all the features" (it still worked even with the old one), but that was taken care of with a quick trip to an AT&T store. I think it might be that the SIM in the 5 isn't provisioned for VoLTE while the SIM in the 6 is.

Spiffyis5150

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I can confirm that buying a full price AT&T phone from the Apple retail store is unlocked. Just as KPOM said, "Device only, contract free"

navigates

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I can confirm that buying a full price AT&T phone from the Apple retail store is unlocked. Just as KPOM said, "Device only, contract free"
I tried looking for the AT&T version and cannot find it anywhere as well. :(
Going to the apple store feels like a kid in the candy shop and the shopkeeper talks as if we are bunch of kids asking for a small treat.

Can't stand those 16 year old 'so called geniuses. Last year I had walked in to ask for a 5s and the person rudely replies. If we had it in stock we would have a board that says iPhone's in stock. To which I replied, when does apple put in stock signs for Mac's or AppleTV's. to which he said. "Like i said" anyways. offtopic.

Thanks all for your help.