Which iPhone case for a student?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by hansiedejong, Oct 5, 2010.

1. hansiedejong macrumors regular

Hi, Yesterday I received my iPhone 4. I'm a student going 5 days a week to school. I always wear jeans to school. I've had the 3GS which I never used with a case, but now with the iPhone 4 I wan to use a case. Which is the best case for me:
    - It's every day in pocket of my jeans. I go to school by bycycle, the iPhone 4 is then also in my pocket.
    - I want to be able to lay it down on my wood desk without making scratches.
    - I just want a nice and easy case.
    - If the Apple Bumper Program still works, it has to come from there.

Another question: Here: (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1024977 < Post 3) i read a post of someone who like me received his iPhone 4 after september 30. He was able to order a bumper from the Apple Bumper Program. Is there someone who can confirm that the Apple Bumper Program still works?

Thanks

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

iPhone bumper + front & back screen protectors

OR

the Speck fitted (this one would probably give you the best protection however it's also one of the more ugly cases in the free case program)

3. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Hmm well, if you're a college student, then you might be short on cash like most college students are (myself included), so you might want to look into a free one from Apple's case program. If you purchased before September 30th, then I believe I remember someone saying that you can still qualify for a free case. But regardless, Apple is still actually giving out free cases for people who call their support regarding the antenna issue, though they just aren't giving them out to every iPhone 4 owner since they've realized that most people don't have antenna problems and there was just a lot of fuss about it. I'm sure Apple has always known it wasn't a wide-spread issue in customers' normal use, but they had to respond, and they did so with the free cases.

Though if you REALLY want to protect your iPhone 4 investment, especially as a student where you might not be able to afford repairing or replacing a broken iPhone, then you could invest in a tough case such as those by Otterbox.

Those are really large though, so a slimmer one might be better for more inconspicuous use in a boring class I suppose.

I really only have experience with Incase, though I have yet to try their sliders for the iPhone 4. I've just tried the slider case for the iPhone 3G and the free snap case for the iPhone 4. I like their quality, and I would suggest an Incase Slider since they provide more support than the snap case but are still discreet and easy to put in and out of a pocket compared to a silicone case.

4. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

Check ilounge as they rated the best and worst cases in the case program. They rate the bumper pretty low but I picked it over all the other cases. YouTube has tonnes of reviews on all the free cases. However if you don't mind spending $20 at Walmart you can pick up the Incipio NGP Translucent Grey which is a great case and offers very good value.

5. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

That's a useful link, definitely worth checking out.

6. hansiedejong thread starter macrumors regular

Do you guys think I have enough with only the bumper?

7. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I'm a student also. I have had a bumper, a speck pixelskin hd and a P-dair leather case from ebay. (+ SGP Ultra Crystal Full body shield) Best is probably p-dair, £15 of ebay in either black, brown, red or white and protects the screen.

8. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

Hello fellow college student!

I suggest the speck Candyshell

-looks very cool (different color combos from black & stealthy to hipster haha)
    -protects like a tank (great for parties, drunken nights, etc)
    -doesn't let a retarded amount of dust in since it's a tight fit
    -lay on the table design

It's $35 bucks but damn worth it if you make it your ONLY case ;)

9. shadowjeff macrumors regular

White speck candyshell? though you will get a lot of scratches at the back of the casing

10. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

I am a huge Switcheasy fan. I love the mix of protection and style. Plus with all the goodies they include (dock protectors, earphone port protectors, screen protectors, video stand, and dock adapter) I think they are great value.

11. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

Oh yeah, I forgot switcheasy is a fantasic value too!

Screen shields, port covers, stands, etc come included with each case. I'd go with that if you can.

12. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

Another reason I like Switcheasy is that their cases slide in and out of my pocket very easily.
    My Capsule Rebel is in the mail now, I hope I like it as much as I did the one for my 3G

13. bighabeeb macrumors 6502

I'm a big fan of the body glove vibe slider case. Not too terribly thick, a nice solid feel (looks like metal, but it's actually just hard plastic so no issues with reception). In addition, as of yesterday it was only 15 bucks at AT&T (50% off at checkout). I've heard some folks say that it creaks a little once it's been on a bit, but I've not seen any issues so far. Bit of a pain in the butt to take OFF the phone (have to sortof finagle the phone out of it while holding down the volume buttons so it will slide out)

Over all a great value and a decent combination of looks and function.