Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

which iPhone?

• iPhone SE

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • iPhone 6S

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • iPhone 6S Plus

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • iPhone 7

Votes: 19 33.3%
  • iPhone 7 Plus

Votes: 26 45.6%

• Total voters

Patron_Saint

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2016
currently have a 6s plus that just bit the dust. Looking to buy a new iPhone, outright, today.

If you were in my position, which would you get?

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
currently have a 6s plus that just bit the dust. Looking to buy a new iPhone, outright, today.

I would downgrade to a 6 Plus. Slimmer, lighter, no stupid Force Touch or whatever they call it.

Patron_Saint

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2016
Needs are general phone use, texting/iMessage, music, browsing, photos. Nothing too spectacular, but I often work from my phone.

Good reception and tethering performance are musts.

Reactions: Mike5254

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015

I love my 7 Plus, and heartily recommend it. However, if you need the phone today you're not going to be able to get a 7 Plus. If you can live with the smaller size, I'd recommend a 7; otherwise, OOW replacement of your 6S Plus, as previously suggested, is the best idea.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
If you like the Plus format, I'd get a 7+. If you're broke and can deal with the smaller size, IMO the SE is a really great value. What I would not do today is buy another 6S/6S+. IMO, too much money for a year-old phone.

Reactions: Jetcat3

Patron_Saint

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2016
I love my 7 Plus, and heartily recommend it. However, if you need the phone today you're not going to be able to get a 7 Plus. If you can live with the smaller size, I'd recommend a 7; otherwise, OOW replacement of your 6S Plus, as previously suggested, is the best idea.

My local Best Buy actually has all models of 7+ in stock today, so it's an option.

Sakura1210

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2016
I come from a 6s to a 7 due to storage (I got the 16Gb 6s and I ran out of space for photos and music, ikr. It was all because my 6 plus died on me last year and I had to get a new phone right away and I didn't have much money so I settled for a 16Gb). Love my 7with the new home button, i don't have to use the assistive touch, and I don't have to be afraid that my home button will break if I press it too frequently

Mike5254

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2016
Cincinnati and Philippines
I came from 5/5s. Its definitely a huge jump for me. The tech stuff (dual camera, screen size and color display, ease of use, memory capacity, volume and clarity, extra features) and size is the biggest factor. The color, its really up to you.
Since you're coming from the 6s, others say most are just upgrades. For me, these are 'holy cow, look what my iPhone can do'.
These thread will help you what others as an iPhone 7/7+ users can suggest. Most members here helped me in my decision making and I'm glad joining this group. What I can suggest is do also your homework in comparing the phone, and try visiting a store so you would see the difference.
I hope my input will help you in choosing your phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jetcat3

Mike5254

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2016
Cincinnati and Philippines
Not for me. RAM is highly overrated.

Apple likes you, though.
Good day. I wish I can dismiss the part when you said that RAM is highly overrated.
Just like laptops, desktops, and other tablets, RAM will never be overrated. As a user, operating systems such as ios and their apps will be in constant upgrade. RAM will always be a huge factor. Having said this, that's why my previous devices could barely handle new numerous apps. RAM is used so that apps run smoothly and not lag.
The more apps you install, the more RAM is needed in the background. The more the system upgrades and more apps we install, the longer our phones will be useful because of the big RAM installed on our phone.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Wow OP can't you make up your own mind? So sick of these dumb threads.

That's disrespectful. Then don't participate in the thread, besides offering negativity. The OP is seeking feedback and obviously values others opinions. Because.....that's what these are threads are intended for and why opinions matter. But I understand this might be surprising to you.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
The more apps you install, the more RAM is needed in the background. The more the system upgrades and more apps we install, the longer our phones will be useful because of the big RAM installed on our phone.

This statement is completely wrong. The usage of RAM is nowhere related to the number of apps installed on a device.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
That's disrespectful. Then don't participate in the thread, besides offering negativity. The OP is seeking feedback and obviously values others opinions. Because.....that's what these are threads are intended for and why opinions matter. But I understand this might be surprising to you.
All the phones mentioned by the OP do exactly what they said they required from a phone, in a later post. It's such a sweeping question "which iPhone" when there is no real reason to choose one over another given the uses of the OP, that it's just monotonous to rehash the same thing over and over in threads like this.

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
Good day. I wish I can dismiss the part when you said that RAM is highly overrated.
Just like laptops, desktops, and other tablets, RAM will never be overrated. As a user, operating systems such as ios and their apps will be in constant upgrade. RAM will always be a huge factor. Having said this, that's why my previous devices could barely handle new numerous apps. RAM is used so that apps run smoothly and not lag.

nope, the only thing is the more apps you install the less storage space you have on your phone (16,32,64,128,256gb) Ram doesnt matter for that.

Reactions: akash.nu

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If you like the Plus format, I'd get a 7+. If you're broke and can deal with the smaller size, IMO the SE is a really great value. What I would not do today is buy another 6S/6S+. IMO, too much money for a year-old phone.

The 6s Might under the iPhone 7, but your also receiving the increased storage in 32 GB and it's a strong contender with the iPhone 7, minus a few features. For the price of the 6s, your still receiving a powerhouse iPhone with the 3.5 Jack. Perhaps the money is worth it.

Reactions: apolloa
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.