Which iphone should i buy? 1st or 2nd Generation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MasonMI, Jul 3, 2008.

1. MasonMI macrumors regular

a friend is offering to sell me their 16GB 1st generation iphone once they upgrade to the iphone 3G 16GB model I want an iphone and i would mostly use it with wifi should I buy the newer version with the 3G and GPS? or would the 1st generation be good for me? from what i have read it appears the only new options on the 2nd generation is 3G, GPS and the 2.0 software which i could upgrade the 1st generation to would i be missing out on anything else?

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

If you're mostly using Wifi or don't have 3G in your area or don't need GPS, then get the 1st gen.

3. MasonMI thread starter macrumors regular

I do have 3G in my area but im more apt to use wifi

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Would you jailbreak/unlock the phone, and would you use it with AT&T or someone else, if you got 2G? I'm not 100% up on the process, but if you don't unlock the phone, then don't you incur the same two year contract as if you'd bought it new? And so you'd have to really consider if it would be worth it to have a used iPhone, a contract, and in total over the next two years pay basically just as much as you would have for the 3G phone. And in the alternative case you'd also get GPS and better battery life.

If you're going to unlock it and use it on a non-iPhone plan or avoid a contract extension, then it might be more worthwhile....

5. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

why not get the latest version? Call quality is supposed to be better with 3g. Plus u get the other stuff that u mentioned. Unless u are getting the 1st ten real cheap.

6. MasonMI thread starter macrumors regular

No i wouldn't be unlocking or jailbreaking the iphone since i could update to the 2.0 version once its released i currently have a Razr in which i'm already in a contract with AT&T so adding the 1st generation iphone to replace my Razr would only cost me $20 extra bucks a month for the data plan vs paying $35 more for the iphone 3G data plan. I hope AT&T keeps the $20 data plans available after the 3G iphone is released.

7. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

The big factor for me would be:

How much does your friend want for his 1st Gen?

If he'd sell it to you for half the price of a 3G iPhone, then sure, consider it. But don't pay any more...

8. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

The 3g data plan is $30 more not $35.

9. iFerd macrumors 6502a

That's true, but the "data" plan with the first generation iPhone includes 200 text messages. Those will cost an extra $5 a month for the 3G iPhone. So if texting is important, apples to apples, the new data plan totals $35.

10. MasonMI thread starter macrumors regular

The $5 additional is for the 200 text messages which are not included in the 3G $30 data plan

11. goblues11 macrumors newbie

goblues11

how much is your friend selling you the 1st gen iphone for

12. MasonMI thread starter macrumors regular

he's asking $300 for his 16GB iphone it looks to be in perfect shape with no scratches on it also has the original box and accessories he said he bought it new for $500 at the apple store.

13. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

I would jump on it, for a 16gb in the condition you stated.

Jude

14. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Isn't that the same price the 16Gb 3G iPhones are selling for? :confused:

15. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Yes but you don't have to pay the extra $15/month if you get a 1st Gen. iPhone.

Personally I am keeping my 1st gen. iPhone. There wasn't enough in the 3G iPhone to make me buy it. I am waiting for at least 32GB.

16. jmpmntwnty3 macrumors 6502

That's only if he's upgrade eligible, otherwise he has to pay $399 for an early upgrade. $300 is still too much for a used iPhone, IMHO. Maybe $200, or even $250, but $300? You can get a BRAND NEW one for a hundred bucks more lol.

But then again, in the end, you'll come out cheaper because the plans on the first gen. iPhone are a little cheaper, but really, not by much. You mentioned $35 vs. $20, so you're really only saving $15/mo.

17. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

You people saying the price is too high, I don't think you understand the value of 1st gen iPhones. They can easily be unlocked for any carrier and aren't tied to a contract, making them much more valuable. They still go for a lot used. Just 2 days ago an 8gb unlocked phone with a cracked screen sold for $266 on eBay, and you expect someone to sell a perfect condition 16gb for $150? If he unlocked the phone he could sell it for probably $400+. The resale market for these is still strong. Not as strong, but still strong.

18. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I just noticed your name. If you live in Mason, MI there is no 3G there. Lansing doesn't have 3G either. Only Detroit, Ann Arbor, Flint, and Grand Rapids are the only places in MI to have 3G according to ATT.