Which iPhone to get

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by barny, Sep 17, 2010.

1. barny macrumors member

Hey. I really wanna get an iPhone but its just tooo expensive. What is the most cost affective way to get one. Also, if all i want is wifi, calling and texting and dont really need 3g then would the 1st generation one be worth a try?

Barny

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The first generation iPhone is still a great phone. However, since it can't be upgraded to iOS 4, you may have a difficult time finding apps that work on it. Also, I'm sure that your carrier is going to insist that you have a data plan.

3. Al3x87 macrumors member

i think spending ~200$ on a Iphone 3g it's ok. And it can be updated to iOS4 too:)

4. ErnesP macrumors newbie

My friends 3g has been woeful since he upgraded to iOS4 :/

5. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

Buy a 3G or 3GS outright from someone and just disable data and your good to go.

6. barny thread starter macrumors member

The thing is i really love the finish of the original iphone and i dont mind about that it cant run 4.0 software. Im from the UK so is it locked to only the O2 network? How would i go about getting a sim card for which ever one i end up getting? Can i use pay as you go aswell? Basically any iPhone info you can give me would really help.

Barny :)

7. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

Wherever you buy you phone from either make sure its unlocked or ask them to also include a simcard (can be old deactivated one) for that carrier.. as long as its from the original carrier it can be used just to activate the phone and once your in you can jailbreak/unlock it.

you can use the phone on whatever you want if you just buy it out from someone.

Just you might find the 2G a bit slow.. Thats why were saying go with a 3G or 3GS

8. barny thread starter macrumors member

Yeah i agree it could be slow. Thanks for all your help anyway.

9. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Try and get a 3G, my friend has one still and iOS 4 was painfully slow on it but now he has updated to 4.1 that has made it MUCH better. Plus you'll be more up to date with apps and that. You'd be much more happier with a 3G.

10. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Check eBay, you should be able to pick up a reasonably priced 3G iPhone. If you like it, you can always get an iPhone 4 later from your wireless carrier.