Which iPhone to get?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Arldon, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Arldon macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

So my iPhone 6 got damaged today, and the camera no longer works (everything else is fine). Any advice on what the repair process would be like if I brought it to Apple, and how much it'd cost me? Or should I just upgrade? I wanted to wait for the iPhone 8 revamp next year too though.... any advice appreciated!

2. SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

Other than the camera, what else is damaged? Really hard to comment on your current iPhone without any other info

About the iPhone 7, unless you're getting Jet Black, I would stay on the 6 and wait for the 8
    If you don't get Jet Black, it won't feel as new of a device as it really is (not to say the 7 is only good for the new color, there are hundreds of other ways)

3. Arldon thread starter macrumors newbie

The camera doesn't work at all, there seems to be some light smudges on the screen (I dropped something on it) but everything else seems fine, any estimation on how much that would cost?

4. SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

Again no
    How did the camera break? Drop, ****ed with the motherboard and broke the cable, water damage?
    And what exactly do you mean by smudges? Post a pic of the screen please so I can further assist you

If the camera itself is broken, but not the lens then a camera replacement is all you need

Are the "light smudges on the screen" enough for you to warrant a replacement (does it bother you?)

5. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

It depends, is the camera itself broken or is it the glass lens?

"Smudges" to me sounds more like it just needs to be cleaned. But if the glass does need to be replaced, it's not a difficult repair so it shouldn't cost you too much.

6. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

LOL. Jet Black is one of many colors. Get what you like. If you like finger prints and scratches, the jet black is a good place to start.
    Take your phone to Apple and ask them for a quote. If it's too much, you could always lok into a SE.

7. Arldon thread starter macrumors newbie

I dropped weights on the screen, which surprisingly didn't crack. The lens seem fine, the camera just doesn't show anything when I turn on the camera (both the selfie side and regular). The smudges only appear when I turn on the screen, so I think it's more of an internal problem than anything that needs to be cleaned (it doesn't bother me that much, I'm fine waiting for a year).

8. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

it could be something with the software if when you open the camera app and nothing shows up. i would first rule out software issues. and then if it persists then take it in and weigh out your options.

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/other

You're probably looking at the out of warranty replacement cost, which is $299 for your phone.

If you really want to wait for the next iPhone, then fix yours. Otherwise, the current models are awesome no matter which color you go with.

10. SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

11. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

This would be the cheapest option that is guaranteed to get you a trouble-free iPhone 6, even with a new battery.

12. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Are you willing to wait or wanting to make the repair. The repair cost might be worth for you to ukgrade. The iPhone 7 is far better than iPhone 6 in many ways.