Which iPod should I buy iPod Classic iPod nano

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by markiv810, Sep 20, 2008.

1. markiv810 macrumors regular

I want to buy iPod I am a bit confused between iPod Classic 120 GB and iPod Nano 16 GB. The only advantages I see in iPod Classic are higher capacity and a bigger screen. I want something that would be reliable, which of the two iPods would be more reliable (Hard disk reliability). I am leaning toward iPod Nano as it is flash based and have a feeling that iPod Classic might be more prone to hard drive failure. Anyone here with iPod Nano 16 GB, how is the screen quality and battery life and the accelerometer feature. Please advice.

2. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Maybe I'm missing something here, but if you don't need the large storage, why are you considering the classic to start off with? Is it just for the bigger screen? I don't have any experience with nanos, but all my iPod classics all held out very well, without any problems, for years.

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Get a classic if you want to take all of your music with you (assuming you have more than 16GB) and get a nano if you are skilled at making playlists and you want a small iPod. Easy as that.

And no duh the iPod nano's storage will be more reliable, it's flash. However will all of my hard drive based iPods the battery gave out well before the hard disk.

4. markiv810 thread starter macrumors regular

I am considering iPod Classic just because of bigger screen (better screen resolution) and better video playing capabilities. My iPod died last month, it was first iPod classic 10 GB Model. I want something light and small for gym and listening to music while traveling from home to office and back, and journeys. My music collection is about 12 GB only.

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You know the pros and cons of each iPod. We can't make the decision for you. And if you can't make the decision on your own; why not get both?

6. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

7. Pixellated macrumors 65816

The resolution on the Classic is the same as the nano. The nano just has them more densely.

8. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

How is that significant? The classic's screen is still bigger thus easier on the eyes.

9. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

I for one would any day prefer the iPod nano over classic keeping the storage considerations aside.... why? It has a gorgeous screen with a very crisp resolution and thus a pixel density of a whopping ~200, price, size, weight, portability and most of all longevity and sturdiness! Then there are plethora of color options and the fact that the HDD iPods are here only for another year or two.... And seriously the .5 inch screen size difference doesnt matter at all.

10. Springer23 macrumors newbie

Why not look at the ipod touch, this gives you everything your asking for and will expand out alot more.

11. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

I think 16GB or 32GB iPod Touch would be perfect for what you say you need. I assume that since you've used your iPod until it died, you aren't going to replace your new one without good reason, so I'd suggest 32GB as a degree of future-proofing - your music collection might grow, and if you're planning to play videos, you'll need additional space for that. The only reason I can see right now for buying an iPod Classic is if you have 30GB+ music that you have to take with you everywhere. It is neither *the* music player now (new, bigger capacity Nano had taken over) nor small video player (Touch has much bigger screen). I have 80GB Classic (thick one) and it's crap to watch videos on. As a result, I use it only as a music player, just as it was intended. And if I had iPhone or newer, lighter iPod, it'd end up as an external HDD. If you need an external HDD, there're better and cheaper ones out there...

12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I'd say you could buy an ipod touch (I have the 1st Gen). Buy a refurbished 16GB when it comes out, or even a 32GB if available. Back on topic, my 2nd Gen nano lasted me for almost 3 years. It got pasted after 2.5 years. It was cosmetically perfect until the last half year. The new nanos are great, my friend let me try his out for a few minutes. It's really small and light. The video quality is simply superb. The Classic is overkill 10 times over. You have 12Gb of music its got 120GB. Unless you want to watch HD videos on it (which you can't btw), the pixels won't matter. Get the nano, you have enough storage capacity, and you can choose from many colors (uh oh, more choices, just what you don't need!).

My recommendation, the iPod touch. The 32Gb should be fine, as well as the 16GB. It can be more than just a music player or video player. You can do so much on it. The app store and all. Good luck!

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Apart from capacity, the other reason to buy the classic is battery life, if you have a large music collection, and need a long lasting battery, go for the classic; other than that, get the nano, or, as others have posted, for the best of both worlds, the Touch.
    Cheers

14. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

i'd go for a touch, unless that's too big for working out, then there's the nano.

you could always get a cheap shuffle for working out and then a main ipod, so you wouldn't need something smaller

15. markiv810 thread starter macrumors regular

The iPod touch is a little too big for gym (just my opinion), I would love to have an iPod Nano 32 GB as suggested. I think I would go for the iPod Nano 16 GB and maybe when the iPod touch 64 GB is released buy that. Thanks a lot for your advice, sometimes we already know what we want but a second opinion always helps.

16. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

you sound like a textbook candidate for a 16 GB nano.

17. markiv810 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice, I am going to buy me an iPod Nano 16 GB. All I have to do is choose the right color, guess thats it. Thanks for your help guys.