Which iPod should I get

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by groovdudeyo, Oct 8, 2008.

1. groovdudeyo macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

Im leaning towards the touch because of the extra space larger screen and all the extra features and cool games but im not sure if its worth the money. I will not get the classic because there is no way I could fill all that space. I barely filled my old 4 gig nano but that was only because of all of my podcasts. so nano or touch im getting it for christmas and either way i would go with the highest capacity but if I go with the touch thats all I would get for christmas.so which one?:confused:

2. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Apple is right.
    The iPod Touch IS the funnest iPod ever.

If you don't care for the huge capacity of the classic, then I'd definitely recommend the Touch.

If you get the earphones + built-in mic from Apple along with the Touch and you download an app called 'Fring', you can even call people if you have an internet connection.

3. groovdudeyo thread starter macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

Really? sweet so can you call anyones cell phone for free? after I buy the app and also can you text???

4. groovdudeyo thread starter macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

Is there anything the nano can do that the touch cant? besides the shake to shuffle thing.

5. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

The free calls will only work for calling other VoIP users on the Skype, Windows Live Messenger, ICQ, Google Talk, Yahoo! or AIM networks, and of course "free" excludes any normal service charges you may incur from your ISP. If the VoIP user you're calling happens to be running their VoIP app on a cell phone, then that's their business.

However, if you just want to call any ordinary public telephone number (either landline or cellular) you'd need to pay for SkypeOut or a SIP service provider.

6. groovdudeyo thread starter macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

7. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Can you offer up some of the primary uses you are looking for? Your request is quite vague, but many of us would be happy to offer up some educated opinion if you offered us more to work from :) .

[​IMG]

8. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Get both, then you'll never doubt your selection. I'm serious. The Touch is a portable computer with PDA and game playing capabilities in addition to it's media playing apps. When you're only interested in music, the Nano is all you need, and has all the same music "properties" available as the Touch. The Nano is more portable, lighter, smaller, more colorful, and still just fine for entertainment.

They are so different, I'm actually curious why you even asked the question.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Nano or touch? Whatever you want.
    Reasons? WE'RE NOT YOU. GET WHAT YOU WANT.

10. groovdudeyo thread starter macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

Okay sorry. I should have said this.

Is the iTouch (Just kidding for those of you who hate that name) Worth getting for christmas if its the only thing I would get for christmas or shoud I get the nano and get other things too?

11. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Well I guess the question I could add is, "what else would you want for the holidays?"

The iPod Touch offers quite a bit of functionality that you can get from other devices, but why when this does it all at once. Obviously you are aware of it's capabilities and features, so I would weigh that against what other devices or items you would like for the holidays.

After owning one for over a year now (1st generation, and now a 2nd generation), I don't want to go without one. I am also looking at getting a nano for more strenuous exercise purposes, as the click-wheel is quite nice for selecting songs and such while running / biking.

[​IMG]

12. groovdudeyo thread starter macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

Okay new question. About how long after you got your iPod touch did the wow factor wear off. I mean wow factor like how long did it take you to stop admiring all the features and be amazed by what it could do?

13. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

Every time I get a new app, it makes my iPod touch feel completely new and amazing (Just loving i.TV, incredible!)

14. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I still have fun with a Quadra 840av that was released in 1993. I am obviously the worst person to ask that question ;) .

[​IMG]

15. JimmyDThing macrumors regular

This doesn't help. You have to tell people what uses you hope to get out of your iPod.

If you want something portable, durable, and all you really want to do is play music... then a Nano could very well be what you want. I'm a runner and I use a Nano to run because it's virtually weightless in my pocket and I'm not too worried about it falling because it uses flash memory.

If you want something more versatile that you can do more with, such as surf the web, check email, download other apps, play games, etc... then you want the Touch. I have a Touch because I am very often in places with free wifi and either need something to do or I need directions to somewhere in an area I'm not familiar with, or whatever... I keep it with me at almost all times and it's very useful in situations where I'm kind of far from home and need the internet... not to mention the fact that I can also use it to play games or watch videos on a decent sized screen if I'm bored.

Asking people what iPod to get without telling what you want it for is like asking complete strangers what kind of car to buy. It all depends on your needs and wants.

16. JimmyDThing macrumors regular

Also, you just asked basically the same question yesterday. It's bad enough that you start two pointless threads, but it's worse that they're on the same subject.

[​IMG]

This is the second time today I've posted asking users not to post multiple threads when there's no reason to. It clutters everything up and it makes it frustrating for people looking for actual issues. Your posts could have been answered by you doing some research for yourself. Please do not post pointless threads and do your best not to post topics that already have threads dedicated to them. (Especially ones that are still on the front page!)

17. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

I just picked up a couple black iPod Nano 4th gens off eBay the other day and started using one today. It's definitely a heck of a lot smaller and thinner than my 80 gig Zune. Naturally that's cause it uses flash memory and is 10x smaller in storage capacity though. But really when you get down to it not that many people need more than 8 gigs or so of storage space if all you're doing is listening to music. You don't have to have a collection of 5,000+ songs with you at all times. I'd be hard pressed myself to fill up 8 gigs listening to what music I do.

Personally I would go with the nano if mostly all you'll be doing is listening to music. The iTouch has some nice additional abilities that make it a great little toy for someone that wants to play with it all the time but usually I'm too busy or have better things to be doing. And I'd rather have a fancy smartphone with real phone abilities outside of just voip anyway.

18. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I have a 1st gen touch and every time a big new software update comes out or an app is downloaded i get sucked right back to that cold december night that i first received it. Why dont you get the 8 gig touch and get other things to? And if you still want a nano pick one off of ebay the 3rd gens are going for 40 usd and that price will only fall.

19. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

iPod touch uses flash memory too.

I don't know if I ever really admired or got amazed by the features and things that I already knew it can do prior to buying it. The whole ZOMG THE LIST MOVES WHEN YOU FLICK IT thing isn't really me. Did I always thought it was a cool little device during the 11 months or so that I was using it? Yes. But I think that of all my iPods :p.

Like many previous posters said, you really have to tell us what you're planning to do with the iPod for us to give you any advice. That's like me asking you what I should wear without telling you where I'm going or what I'm doing. Never mind strangers, even my best friend wouldn't be able to give me advice.

20. RRutter macrumors 6502

The iPod touch is funnest.
    The iPod classic is biggest.
    The iPod nano is smaller.
    The iPod shuffle is smallest & on the go.

IDK.. You choose. :D

:apple: