Which ipod touch to buy and when?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iwannaipod, Nov 2, 2011.

1. iwannaipod macrumors newbie

Hi, New here. A little background that I think will help with my question.

I am an adult mom of a 4yr old. I do not have any ipod at this time, have not had any gen of ipod touch. I do not have a smart phone nor want to pay $30 more on my plan to get a data package.

I have been waiting since July for the new touch to come out and was planning on buying the 32gb, because I want a touch as my "smart" device. Apps for me and my boy, short videos, pictures, music, web etc.

I was rather disappointed in the "upgrade" to the 4 and was really hoping for a better camera with flash.

I will buy an ipod touch before Christmas. I am tempted to see what the Black Friday prices will be. Last year WM had the best deal but it was on an 8gb. So I fear that the best deals will only be on the 8gb. Sooo....

Should I buy a great deal on a 8gb on Black Friday, knowing that it may be too small, and then upgrade next year when some hopefully awesome upgrades come out? Or buy a 32gb now at whatever best price I can?

2. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

Maybe wait till black Friday and see if you can get a good deal on the 32gb. Also the white 8gb is $189.99 on Amazon.com.

I suggest to wait and see what deals they give you.

3. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

I have a 32gb, and I can't see 8gb being enough for ANYTHING.

In my opinion, it is well worth the extra $$.

(Apple did have some refurbished 4th gens on the store, but I see they've been removed; that's what I was going to suggest).

4. appleZtouch macrumors newbie

appleZtouch

32gb itouch really worth it I have 1000 songs, 102 apps 300 pics 12 vids and still have 15 gb free space. Before, I had a 8gb itouch 3rd gen and after 2 months only 300mb left on my storage.

Just think first want you really want don't rush because you might regret it after. :)

5. Crigger540 macrumors member

Crigger540

BestBuy has the 32GB black 4th gen on sale for $274.99 and the white for $284.99.

6. sandimacd macrumors regular

sandimacd

You will soon wish you had more than 8GB. If you can only afford the 8GB then get that and plan to get the larger new one in a year or so. With a child you will find that you take lots of pics but they are not that big. You can upload them to an online photo account or FB account or to your computer and then delete them to save space. If you keep podcasts deleted after listening that saves space. If you don't put a huge music library on it you will be OK. Also depends on how many and what type of apps or games you want. The 8 GB has a smaller processor so challenging games don't run as smoothly.
    I am so glad I bought the new touch 4 last year. I did it because I outgrew my first one which was smaller. I keep some children's songs and games on it for my grandson and it is handy to always keep at my bedside.
    The newer, larger one stays near my MAC and TV and goes with me in the car.
    You also might consider getting a shuffle for all your music if you have lots and then just put a few playlists on the 8 GB touch.

7. OneOkami Guest

I hear you on the capacity issue. I'm about halfway through capacity on my 32GB iPod touch that i've only had for a little under half a year now. I'm likely gonna just buy a 64GB model next. No way I'd consider buying an 8GB.

To OP, considering the way you want to use your iPod (as an alternative to how you'd use a smartphone), I'll say you'll definitely want at least 32GB of storage. If you're going to be storing music, photos, videos and apps on it, you're likely to blow through that 8GB in no time and will be needing to buy a new on in no time. Its probably more cost effective to just get a larger capacity model (and yes, I'd say wait to see if you can catch any Black Friday deals on one).

8. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

The 8gb is very small. The camera for filming is ok, just stills that are crap. I would wait for a refurbished to come. Or maybe a used one of CL

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I agree with all who have posted already; these days, 8GB really is very limited capacity and you will find that you run out of space very rapidly, for, even if you don't have videos, apps, photos - you will probably find that your music library will easily eat up 8GB in no time.

My advice would be to wait for the best deal you can get on the 32 GB and then buy the 32GB iTouch. For my part, I have the 64GB iTouch and I have never regretted it.

Cheers and good luck with it

10. MLAM macrumors regular

I also advise on getting a 32GB too as the apps will only get bigger and bigger as new ones come out, also should you start taking videos it will eat into the space pretty quickly.

11. forcetactic macrumors 6502

Verizon iPhone 4 16gb with bad ESN can sell for as low as $200-250. Comes with better camera with flash, more ram than iPod touch. You can just use it as a touch minus the phone functions

12. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

This is an excellent suggestion. I picked up a 32GB iPhone 4 w/bad ESN for $210 a few months ago for that very purpose.

The problem is that since there is no upgraded iPod Touch this generation, many others are also going the "iPhone 4 w/bad ESN" route and end up driving the price up. So the window of opportunity to pick up a (relatively) inexpensive iPhone 4 is closing quickly.

13. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

What does ESN stand for?

14. warvanov macrumors 6502a

As others have said the 32GB is worth it for the space. 8GB would be fine for a small amount of music and otherwise just using it for the apps and camera functions, but if you plan on using videos and a fair amount of music then you'll be glad to have the extra space.

As far as sales go, I have no idea what to expect, but at this point you might as well wait to see what deals there on on Black Friday.

15. cz9h3d macrumors member

Also looking for a 32gb for my daughter for Xmas. Didn't know about the bad ESN option, but the eBay prices are pretty high for them at present.

Looks like the best holiday deals will be with a gift card. Looks like Toys R Us has a $50 card on Black Friday. Target/Others $40. Not much dealing on Apple products. I'll be watching my Kindle Special Offers for Amazon deals. My local Meijer usually has 10-15% off days.. Can get it up to over 25% if you combine with a new credit card... Which I've done with iPods in the past.

16. coldnight macrumors newbie

I would say go hunting online to get the best deals. Amazon or eBay would be preferred as they have low prices. As for which model to get... you can still get the old 2009 model for a cheaper price (has all the same features of the new ipod touch except camera or facetime, which i dont really use). You wouldnt use facetime or the camera that much on the new ipod touch (because its .7 mp!) so i would suggest to try and go with that! get a 32 GB, not a 8GB because 8GB is pretty much worthless...