Which iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by rick3000, Sep 15, 2009.

1. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

I was planning on upgrading to the iPod touch last week when they announced the new touches, however the lack of a gps and camera have really put me off spending $300 for the 32GB. If the 8GB fits my needs I would be happier spending less.

Basically, I want a PDA that I can do my calendar on, stream video over the web, and play games on. Will the 8GB touch suffice or should I opt for the faster 32GB to do all of this?

Any advice or input is appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

A couple of things I would keep in mind are: The new 8gb has no changes from the 2nd gen. The 32 and 64 have new software and hardware changes.

I noticed a difference in game playing etc from the 2nd gen 32gb I had before I got the 3rd gen 64gb.

The other thing is price vs memory:D, the 8gb is around $200 and the 32gb $299. For that extra $99, look at the memory difference. It should be a no brainer.:D:D

3. dynamo22 macrumors member

+1 very detailed. Couldn't have said it better myself

4. rick3000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rick3000

So I am leaning toward the 32GB, as much as a super cheap 8GB touch is compelling. However, do you guys think they will the add a camera before or after Christmas?

5. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

Who knows what lurks in Steve Jobs' mind! From his remarks about wanting to keep the itouch as a gaming device and the iphone as an all around device with camera etc, I will be surprised if he puts a camera in the itouch in the near future. If he does it will probably cost more.

If you have a cell phone that has a camera why worry about it?

You could also get what you want now and then sell it off if they do come out with a camera model.

6. d-fi macrumors member

the 8 GB ipod will do what you want to do,

If you want more space and you don't want to spend a lot of money you can spend $50 more and buy a refurb 2gen 32 GB. It's the same as the 8 GB performance wise and it's probably old stock and brand new anyway.

Or you could buy a refurb 8 GB and only pay $149

Just some options for you :)

7. MVApple macrumors 6502a

If you're REALLY into games then go for the 32GB. It supports better graphics. You may see a small difference in the current crop of games but the truth is that the real difference will come when developers start taking advantage of it in the future. Right now developers don't want to because that means everyone without the 2.0 graphics acceleration can't play their games. That market is too big to leave behind right now. Of course if you plan on upgrading your iPod next year then just go for the 8GB, if you plan on keeping for 2 years go for the 32GB.

Obviously the memory difference is huge and the fact that the 32gig comes with headphones+mic may be a factor for those music games that use the mic although I'm not sure how good the mic on the headphones would work with that.

8. rick3000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rick3000

I just bough the 32GB Touch. I figure if the Touch is going to get a camera it will be like the Nano one which is pretty crappy, and my phone will do a better job. Plus, the 3rd gen is faster and more 'future-proof'.
    Overall, I think I made a good choice and I can always upgrade later on if Apple releases some killer new feature.
    I also bought a PixelSkin to protect it, which seems like a pretty good case.

Thanks for all the input everyone. :D