Which is a better buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by plux79, Apr 13, 2007.

1. plux79 macrumors member

Hi,
    My university have a MBP base for sale for $1699 but I have to purchase an apple care along with it at the same time ($239).

And I have a $500 gift card to be used at apple store, so my question is, should I buy the base MBP at apple store and bought the apple care a few months later or should I buy the student package?

Thank you in advance.

2. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

If you're a student, then there is no better deal than to get the $99 Student ADC membership. That gives you 20% off hardware. Then you can use your gift card, and really get a good deal. I got my MBP without the $500 gift card, with 2 GB RAM, the 2.33, with a 160 HD for under $2100.

3. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Which MBP? If it's the 2.16, I'd say go for it. The Applecare is nice and worth it too. I had a few problems with my pbook and each time I thanked myself for having purchased the applecare. You save on service chagres even if you're still within the warranty.

4. plux79 thread starter macrumors member

^^^Right, I am thinking to buy applecare too but what I am trying to figure out is how should I use my gift card.

I looked at the ADC requirements, it says that I have to provide a transcript or current class schedule. Does it have to be official? Because the unofficial transcript or class schedule on my school website does not provide any student information for confidentiality. So how would apple verify that the transcript or schedule is mine?

5. CV4 macrumors member

you could probably sell the giftcard to someone on here for close to face value if you went the other route.

6. JAT macrumors 603

You can just get the normal Edu Store discount. All you need is a student id. The base MBP is $1799 for a student. Minus the $500 gift card looks pretty good if you ask me.

7. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i agree. if you're not planning to get applecare, the standard $1799 edu price works well. i don't know about your school, but my school offers the 2.33 ghz macbook pro for $1999. that with the $500 gift card would look really good to me.

8. plux79 thread starter macrumors member

^^^That's cheap, which school did you go? I went to UCI, but I don't think school will accept apple's gift card, do they?

9. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

The transcript doesn't have to be official. I printed my class schedule from the web, and faxed it along with a copy of my student ID and Drivers Licence (and no, you don't have to be doing anything CS, or even have any computer-related classes). They verify it (about 3 days), and then you get your credit so you can make your purchase.
    Right now the base MBP is $1600. With your gift card, you're talking about an $1100 MBP (OK $1200 with your membership).

10. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i've always found uci's store prices to be cheaper than my school, ucsd. you can check their prices here. maybe uci will do a bit of price matching (doubt it, though)? also, ask to see if your student store will take the apple gift card. either way you go, you're getting a pretty cheap macbook pro.