Which is a better gaming laptop?

jkaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Upper Mid West
Intel Core 2 Duo processor 2.20 GHz 800MHz FSB
17.0" High-Definition Widescreen Display (1440 x 900)
2GB DDR2 System Memory
256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS
320GB 5400RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive
LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support

for 1454.99 from hp

or

2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
13" display
1GB memory
Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of shared memory
160GB hard drive 5400rpm
Double-layer SuperDrive

for 1499.00 from apple

??

thanks for the help!!!

jkaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Upper Mid West
tell me what's up with this please

i need a laptop that does my day to day and play video games after all my work is done

what is the deal with such night and day specs????

somebody please tell me how i could spend money on an apple laptop with specs like this.

forget about the gaming aspect, look at the hardware comparison

i just can't justify that type of price difference vs quality of hardware

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
What's up with what? Apple doesn't have a laptop with a discrete video solution under $1,999. ($1,799 education and $1,699 refurbished)

jkaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Upper Mid West
i need a new laptop, i want it to fit all my needs, i'm an apple fanboi but the laptops in my price range are disastrously underpowered

pscoble

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2006
Petaluma
Uhh then why did you even consider the hp if you are a "fanboi" Apple doesn't make what you want if that isn't obvious.

jkaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Upper Mid West
i wish that would solve my issues, but i have 3 different desktop computers that i work on and play games on.

i'm fairly new to laptop lifestyle, and have been successfully using it for work related activities, being able to take it to the next level and add gaming to my laptop routine is where i need to go next.

thanks,

thies

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
that's an interesting point, can you cite a source for that please?
The Apple store offering consumer products without graphics solutions able to handle games in satisfactory ways should be a good enough source.

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
VERY FEW consumers play games on there computers and the vast majority that don't would much more appreciate not paying for something they don't need, this is also the reason for having a non superdrive model.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
VERY FEW consumers play games on there computers and the vast majority that don't would much more appreciate not paying for something they don't need, this is also the reason for having a non superdrive model.
We've had this debate in the front page MacBook threads.

They do play games.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Intel Core 2 Duo processor 2.20 GHz 800MHz FSB
17.0" High-Definition Widescreen Display (1440 x 900)
2GB DDR2 System Memory
256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS
320GB 5400RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive
LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support

for 1454.99 from hp
For the record, the cheapest laptop I could find on HP's site with those specs priced out at $2,327.97, putting it pretty much in-line with the MacBook Pros.

Please post a link to this wondrous deal where we can save $872.98.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
i wish that would solve my issues, but i have 3 different desktop computers that i work on and play games on.

i'm fairly new to laptop lifestyle, and have been successfully using it for work related activities, being able to take it to the next level and add gaming to my laptop routine is where i need to go next.

thanks,
For the serious gamer, all laptops are big disappointment. Hence all the screaming over the iMacs (which use a laptop card). Casual gamers or those who don't require loads of eye candy can be very happy with a MBP or an iMac. Very casual gamers who like older non-demanding (non or minimal 3D) games with low graphics settings will be happy with a MB.

droo94

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2007
For the record, the cheapest laptop I could find on HP's site with those specs priced out at $2,327.97, putting it pretty much in-line with the MacBook Pros.

Please post a link to this wondrous deal where we can save $872.98.
Actually I got that $1454.99 quote for the dv9500t series -- personally, I'd still take the MacBook but that's just me.

jkaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Upper Mid West

martychang

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
For the serious gamer, all laptops are big disappointment. Hence all the screaming over the iMacs (which use a laptop card). Casual gamers or those who don't require loads of eye candy can be very happy with a MBP or an iMac. Very casual gamers who like older non-demanding (non or minimal 3D) games with low graphics settings will be happy with a MB.
Not totally true. All the gamers I know are VERY cheap. The best Desktop I've heard of one of them building used the desktop version of what the 24" iMac has, and an Intel Core 2 E6750, and it maxed out Bioshock very smoothly. Total machine cost was $500, $600 after he added the physics card.

All the other gamers I know game on $750 value gaming laptops, with GeForce 7600 Go 's and Turion 64 X2s. One I know literally uses a Desktop with a GeForce 6200LE and a Sempron 3500+. The general philosophy of these gamers is turn down the graphics when you're playing, only turn them up when you're showing off(if you can).

This is all ignoring the people I know who spend a few weeks tweaking to get Quake Wars & Halo 2 to work on their laptop with integrated graphics.

Of course there will always be the Alienware people, and the people who build their own Alienware clone for cheaper(i.e. $3,000 down from $5,000). I don't think these people represent the majority of "serious" gamers though.

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
I have a Dell XPS M1710, i hook it up to a display, external keyboard and mouse and it is one of the best gaming experiences. Apple does everything better then windows except for gaming. If you want to play games apple is not for you, if you can afford 2 computers then i really think you should get 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.