Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ranjanr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2021
Which will be best case/cover for Ipad 9th Gen. I need both front and back protection. Also i do not use pencil or keyboard with Ipad.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Which will be best case/cover for Ipad 9th Gen. I need both front and back protection. Also i do not use pencil or keyboard with Ipad.
"Best" is subjective. So is "protection". For some people, a screen protector and skin on back is more than enough protection.... for others, not even a military grade Otterbox case is enough. ;)

Apple Smart Cover and 3rd party plastic back cover. Sometimes you can find them as a single 3rd party case, just depends on if you want to be able to remove the front cover.
The availability of the smartcover for the iPad 9 is a big reason why I prefer the 9 over the Air or Pro. I always use a smartcover for the front (duh) and clear skin for the back. It protects the back from scratches and offers a bit of grip to hold it more securely.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The availability of the smartcover for the iPad 9 is a big reason why I prefer the 9 over the Air or Pro. I always use a smartcover for the front (duh) and clear skin for the back. It protects the back from scratches and offers a bit of grip to hold it more securely.

I have the 11" Zagg ProKeys (non trackpad) case and its the closest to my 9.7" iPadPro's cheap 3rd-party plastic back and Smart Keyboard.

ranjanr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2021
"Best" is subjective. So is "protection". For some people, a screen protector and skin on back is more than enough protection.... for others, not even a military grade Otterbox case is enough. ;)

Truly said. let me look at options provided. I will prefer something for back protection

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Cases with hard plastic backs often crack within a year for us so I prefer flexible ones like this.

I second this. I've had good results with the equivalent Moko TPU cases similarly priced. Previous hard plastic cases soon cracked with the corners breaking off.

yohes

Suspended
Dec 11, 2021
Another vote for the Zugu cases. Practical, easy to use, good protection.
yuck… so ugly. I’d never put that on my device.
A friend of mine also complains about quality being an issue, “its kinda cheap feeling” ?‍♂️

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
yuck… so ugly. I’d never put that on my device.
A friend of mine also complains about quality being an issue, “its kinda cheap feeling”

Beauty is as usual in the eye of the beholder but I treat my iPads as tools not as fashion items. Can’t agree to the cheap feeling and since iPads now are blessed with large camera bumps I need a thicker case to get it to lay flat without flexing. Feel free to point out a pretty and practical case in your opinion.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Antbox case is a very nice quality case with a built holder for the Apple Pencil. I got them for all 3 of my kids iPads and purchased one for my moms 9th gen. Very nice quality case

C2BE01AB-F169-4A08-814A-641B98D1392F.png

RaphaZ

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2021
I just work with flexible cases that protect the rear. On the front I use a glass. Search for AICEK model, they are great. I dont recommend other flexible brands!

yohes

Suspended
Dec 11, 2021
Beauty is as usual in the eye of the beholder but I treat my iPads as tools not as fashion items. Can’t agree to the cheap feeling and since iPads now are blessed with large camera bumps I need a thicker case to get it to lay flat without flexing. Feel free to point out a pretty and practical case in your opinion.
I havent tried them so I dont know about that. Thats what he tells me, not shure what specifically does he mean by it.

Design wise - they are too bulky and ugly to me. Wouldnt wanna carry that.
Theres nice leather ones, if I find some links I’ll post them

ranjanr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2021
Cases with hard plastic backs often crack within a year for us so I prefer flexible ones like this.

I am going to try this.

Turnedsideways

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2023
Have a look at the Zugu cases
They do have a pencil holder but you don't have to use it.

Thank you for this rec. you could spend all day on Amazon and other sites and no matter how you refine the search it keeps returning one cheap China mfrs cases under 20 different names that are all the same and this one does not come up. Anyway, outstanding reviews!

Turnedsideways

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2023
I received
Thank you for this rec. you could spend all day on Amazon and other sites and no matter how you refine the search it keeps returning one cheap China mfrs cases under 20 different names that are all the same and this one does not come up. Anyway, outstanding reviews!

i received the Zugu case. A little heavier than I would have preferred but the outstanding quality more than makes up for it. It’s made like a brick house! I purchased it on Walmart, cheaper price, super fast shipping without Prime, easier returns and the nicest CS reps!

thanks again for the recommendation!

RaphaZ

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2021
I received

i received the Zugu case. A little heavier than I would have preferred but the outstanding quality more than makes up for it. It’s made like a brick house! I purchased it on Walmart, cheaper price, super fast shipping without Prime, easier returns and the nicest CS reps!

Could you elaborate more? Im thinking in buying one honestly

Turnedsideways

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2023
Could you elaborate more? Im thinking in buying one honestly
What specifically would you like to know?

The easel part stays put and doesn’t pop out or collapse like other covers I’ve had.

The camera, on/off switch and home buttons are easily accessible.

I purchased black, I think it came in other colors too?

It’s so well made, the case is some type of dull type rubberized or plastic, but not sticky in any way where dirt or lint would adhere to it.

Let me know anything else that might be helpful to you.

Reactions: RaphaZ

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I received

Glad you like it. Cannot recommend them enough.

Reactions: Turnedsideways

Turnedsideways

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2023
Glad you like it. Cannot recommend them enough.
I wonder if they eliminated whatever is making it magnetic if it would reduce the weight, perhaps offer it both ways? Other than placing it on a refrigerator I don’t see that many uses for it being magnetic?

I can’t say enough about the outstanding quality, it’s far beyond any expectation, especially when the market seems dominated by cheaply made cases, this is like a Rolls Royce.

thanks again!

Reactions: RaphaZ

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I received

Wow... that thing looks like it is drone-strike resistant. It looks like a great option for those that aren't concerned by the weight and thickness of their cases.

Reactions: Turnedsideways
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.