which is best for me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gimmeiphone, Aug 2, 2008.

1. gimmeiphone macrumors 6502

so iv been waiting and waiting for the new macbooks, but do i need something a bit more powerful? the things i do on a daily basis, for work and soon college are:

Photoshop cs3
    Film editing (in crappy windows movie maker)
    Heavy browsing
    Music Editing

i have a windows laptop right now and everyday i have a new reason to hate it, after endless reading for the past year or son on macs they seem so much better suited for me, this laptop has a 15" screen so the macbooks looks a little on the small side but im sure i could adjust, but will the macbook be powerful enough for all the things i want to do. i would ideally like to game too but its not a must, the only thing is it has to be one of the notebooks, and while most are happy with the plastic enclosures i definitely wouldnt be because of the cracking issue, also the macbook screens are really bad compared to the 3 yr old one im using now. wow, you can see how confused i am lol, whats your opinion?:confused:

2. jaduffy108 macrumors 6502a

I would say if you plan to use Final Cut Studio...you definitely want a MBP...not a Macbook. OTOH, the new integrated chip to be used in the upcoming Macbooks *could* be a big enough improvement to "get by" with. Have to wait and see.

Check out barefeats.com for benchmarks.

A MBP would be a far safer bet. There are some pretty good refurb prices at Apple.com.

3. gimmeiphone thread starter macrumors 6502

do you think the mbp's will go up in price? its gona take me a while to save enough for one of them lol iv just to say got enough for a middle macbook! but i spose if it lasts me longer its better in the long run. i want one now!!

4. jeremyrader macrumors member

Historically, the prices drop and/or more features get added with each update. It's not just Apple, that's the way the industry works.

I'd second the vote for MBP over MB, even the rumored new one, if you're film editing consists of more than 30 second clips for you-tube. You may not need something as powerful as Final Cut Studio/Pro, but the MBP won't have any trouble running it. I've been getting by fine with iMovie and iMovie HD for home movie projects, but my son uses FCP for his coursework.

All Intel macs can run windows natively now with Boot Camp, and the MBP meets or exceeds the specs of most games on the market right now. Just keep in mind that a laptop really isn't the ideal platform for gaming. Heck, computers in general aren't really ideal for gaming in my opinion - that's why the Wii and DS2 exist...

You should definitely keep an eye on Apple's refurb listings for a good deal, and even consider picking one up used, if you can transfer what's left of the Applecare warranty over. And don't forget the education discount, if you're eligible (judging from the spelling, I'd guess not... :D).

5. gimmeiphone thread starter macrumors 6502

lol:eek: what spelling? the only gaming id want to do is small games really such as broken sword n stuff, and maybe sims 2, would that play ok?

6. jroller macrumors regular

I would definitely recommend a MBPro for you, based on what you want to do. I don't think you will be as happy with a regular Macbook