Which is Best Free Video Editing Software for Mac ?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by robinbannis, Jan 3, 2012.

1. robinbannis macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

Can you suggest best Free Video Editing software for Mac ?:cool:

Regards,
    Robin

2. simsaladimbamba

It may not be the best, but iMovie comes with every Mac and may be able to do what you want.

3. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

iMovie, already comes with your Mac, and its great. I would say its the best free one in the computer world

4. shamalila macrumors newbie

You can try Adobe Elements, Final Cut Pro, Adobe After Effect.. etc. You can download the free trial. They are all good and much more things you can do on it.

5. simsaladimbamba

Adobe After Effects is NOT an editing application, but a compositing application.
    And they are not free, even if the trials are, and I highly doubt, that the OP, once s/he finished the trial, will buy it, due to his/her absence and lack of knowledge.

6. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Until you have figured out how AE works, the trial period is already over.

7. simsaladimbamba

Well said. But that can be said for almost all Adobe or even professional DCC products.
    To this day, I can't figure out iMovie, though I learned video editing via Premiere (long before it became "Pro") and Avid Media Composer.

8. julesw macrumors member

julesw

imovie is good, wondering when the next version will be released

9. cgbier macrumors 6502a

i figured out how iMovie since 08 works by working with FCP X :eek:

10. simsaladimbamba

I hope that was not a snide comment to the greatest departure of how we will edit non-linear in the future? ;)
    Anyway, FCP X is easier to figure out for me, I guess, one can reverse engineer the necessary steps to iMovie. We'll see what FCP X brings, as it shows some promises.
    If they could pair the best of Avid MC with the best of FCP X (which will be subjective nonetheless), that would be quite some fubar bastard child.

11. cgbier macrumors 6502a

No, it was not a snide comment.

I am a very early adopter of FCP X and have, of course, looked for any tutorials I could find - MacBreak Studios and Ripple Training should really be mentioned here - the more I watched, the more I came to "oh, that's how the new iMovie works".

On the other hand, I had to revisit FCP6 (never updated to 7) last week for an older project. You don't want to hear my curses. Once you're comfortable with FCP X, you don't want to go back.

12. mBox macrumors 68020

Good one ;) So true. Ive been using it since COSA and Im still learning new things ;)