Which is better, Android or iOS?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by kylera, Jan 6, 2013.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

Answer: neither.

Here's my take on the whole spiel seen all over the webs. Comparing the two is like comparing Windows and OS X - they are two different paths toward the same goal.

In the end, it comes down to the user and what he or she needs to do with the phone of choice. Specifically, the apps and features.

By apps, I'm not saying one OS is better than the other because it has more apps or because the apps are of higher quality. I mean, who installs all of those thousands of apps in his or her phone and uses them on a daily basis? Common sense dictates that there are a handful for each person which are used almost religiously for one reason or another.

Instead, it comes down to whether the apps you need are available or not, or whether they operate in the way the user wants it to.

As far as most major apps go, most of them are now available on both systems and some are available in additional systems. It comes down to the exclusives.

For example, I find myself using iOS for years to come and not batting an eyelash towards Android because of the apps that I absolutely need and they aren't available for Android (Omnifocus and Hancom Office - a proprietary office app). Unless these two become available for Android, there probably is no way I will move elsewhere.

On the other side, I have a coworker who stands by his Galaxy Note and is very creative with the stylus. That's quite understandable.

Hence, neither OS is inherently better. What makes one better is if it suits the user better.

As the saying goes, different strokes for different folks.

2. ConCat macrumors 6502a

ConCat

This has been covered to death, but I agree. They both have their advantages.

3. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I disagree, they both suck. I use a rotary phone. It's the bestest phone in the whole wide world.

:)

4. ConCat macrumors 6502a

ConCat

Bahaha. Indeed. A good phone it is. But can it do email?

5. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

When there is a will, there is a way.

:p

6. siiip5 macrumors 6502

Probably?

[​IMG]

7. HughMassie macrumors newbie

Agree with you to some extent.

For an average phone user (like me), one's personal choice becomes the decisive factor. Plus there are many who cannot afford iPhone, so they go for low and mid ranged android devices.

And if you ask my personal opinion, I personally prefer android, due to its good home screen personalization features (which are missing in iPhone) and plus it offers some other good features which I like.

8. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

Android is better than iOS.

More innovative, more intuitive, functional and smoother. The keynote of Google is also way better than that of Apple. Saying that it depends on preferences is just a polite way of being political correct.

9. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Nah... it is not that at all. And I have a Nexus 4 right now and love it.

But as for intuitive I would say iOS is easier to just do basic smartphone stuff.

I would also say iOS is friendlier. The dark colors in Android are pretty crappy and a turnoff in my opinion. That would be a benefit if I had an OLED screen but I do not. So my LCD lamp is blasting out light that is wasted on dreary dark screens. Why is there not a simple light/dark setting to change that? Why does it cater to OLED devices?

Which brings me to hardware. iOS is not just an OS. It is married to Apple devices. There is none of that "not really designed for your kind of hardware" crap.

As for smoother.... I would say the latest version of Android, running on the latest and fastest Android devices is just now roughly as smooth as iOS. I would not say smoother, especially if I factor in apps. A simple app like Words with Friends is smoother on my iPhone 4S than on my Nexus 4. There is some kind of stutter or lag that changes the gameplay on my Nexus that I never noticed on my iPhone. I have gotten used to it now and it is not much of an issue. But I would never say my Nexus 4 is smoother than my iPhone or iPad.

Michael

10. Carouser macrumors 65816

It doesn't allow posting to MR, so I'd recommend it to a lot of people.