Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
I have a 1 ghz g4 powerbook that I use for everything, audio recording, web, word processing, dvd player, etc. I'm looking to add another cheap mac so I can dedicate 1 mac to general stuff, and 1 mac as my audio work horse to do multi track recording (I use performer) with some plugin fx.

If I get a used 1.25 ghz g4 mac mini, would that be better or worse than my 1 ghz g4 for my audio stuff? Or is there a different alternative that I haven't thought of? I'm looking to spend as little as possible, and even the $450 for a used mac mini is really more than I can justify.

What do you think?

sonarghost

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
Ram is very important as well. I have 2gig which really helps alot. The 1.25 mac mini may not be worth your time if it far less ram than you are currently using..

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
The mac mini still uses a crappy laptop hard drive. That particular model is basically a laptop computer in a small box.

I'd say you are better off maxing out the ram in your powerbook, and getting a 7200rpm notebook drive in your powerbook. This may cost you a few hundred bucks, but is perhaps the cheapest route.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.