Which is better for summer insulation - blinds or cellular shades?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rawdawg, Aug 3, 2011.

1. rawdawg macrumors 6502

I recently moved to a new 4th floor apartment in Brooklyn and have huge windows facing West with incredible views of tree lines streets, churches, and brownstones.

Here in my apartment, and most of NYC from what I know, we have steam heat in the winter that is free to us. You can't even turn it off so I am not concerned about saving energy with window treatments in the winter.

What I do want is the best window treatments for keeping heat out in the summer. I know my options but am only interested in blinds or cellular shades. I read everywhere about the insulating properties of cellular shades especially in winter but can't find how they compare to blinds for insulating against the summer sun. What I don't like about them is the inability to see out of them when down unlike blinds that you can adjust. I do not want the cell shades that are top down since my windows are so large to gain any benefit seeing out of them they would have to be nearly halfway down.

Does the insulating properties of cellular shades over benefits over blinds in the summer?

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I would suggest something that will reflect the Sun right back out the window.

They will be function over form, but what can you do? ;)