iPhone 7(+) Which is better? iPhone 7 or 8??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bryanc28, Dec 13, 2018.

1. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

I need to upgrade as my iPhone SE is getting a bit outdated. Plus I need a bigger screened phone. I like using a phone one-handed, so the Plus phones are a no-go. My budget is at the most $600.

What phone will last a good while between the 7 and 8? I want to have this phone for as long as possible. The thing that worries me most, though, is which phone is MOST durable. The all glass phone seems like an accident waiting to happen for me. Is the 7 more durable because of the aluminum back? Or should I just concentrate on which one will be more powerful (the 8)?

TIA

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You said you want this phone ‘As long as possible’, if that’s the case, that would be the iPhone 8, because it will see support longer with the A11 bionic processor.

The major differences between both phones, is the iPhone 8 is the more mature of the device, it offers wireless charging, true tone, the stereo speakers are improved, and a few camera upgrades. But altogether, both the iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 are great phones, if you’re concerned about the glass back, opt for a good case. The iPhone 7 was one of my favorite iPhones, and between the price difference of the two, the iPhone 8 is not that much more expensive just over $600 for the base 64 GB.

My suggestion is for the iPhone 8, being you said you don’t upgrade very often and you want this to last as long as possible, which iPhone 8 will with iOS support and likely respond better to future iOS updates versus the older A10 fusion processor in the iPhone 7.

3. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

if you have at&t with unlimited data plan, no brainer to get the XR 128gb for just $350(2 yrs plan).

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

I love my 7, but I wouldn’t buy one new today. The 8 will last longer for sure.

5. 1rottenapple macrumors 68020

1rottenapple

The camera is really good on the 8. I can tell a difference. Low light is better too.

6. Hoff macrumors member

I'm currently seeing a 64GB iPhone 8 for $599
    And a 32GB iPhone 7 for $499

I'd pay $100 more for twice the storage space and one year newer generation processor.
    The iPhone 7 shipped with iOS 10. But if you buy it now, it probably has iOS 12 on it. Already two generations behind.

For iPhone longevity, I worry most about the "slow down" that happens on older phones running newer OS's.

Go for 8. Ask for a rugged case for Xmas.

7. DJ_Smith macrumors regular

DJ_Smith

Go for iPhone 8 son. It will atlest last you for next 4-5 years.

8. bodonnell202 macrumors 65816

bodonnell202

Agree with others, the only potential downside to the 8 is that it is possibly a bit more fragile with the glass back, but has many small improvements over the 7 and with the A11 (6 core) chip it will probably perform better with future software updates compared to the 7, and will be supported longer. Get an 8 and put a case on it.

9. tatsuki macrumors member

tatsuki

The battery life on the 8 is better too, it gets a lot more screen on time than the 7 which tends to die fast if you use it a lot.

10. bodonnell202 macrumors 65816

bodonnell202

Yes, I've had an 8 for a little over a month now and I've been pleasantly surprised by how good the battery life has been. I never had a 7, but my 8 lasts about 50% longer than my 6s did with iOS 12 (in fairness 8 at 100% battery health vs 6s at 92%).

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I owned both and never had an issue with the iPhone 7 ‘Dying’ faster. I would say that is dependent on the users settings more than anything. (I.e Brightness being a major contributor.)