Which is better, Lacie Rugged 256 SSD Thunderbolt or Buffalo 256 GB Thunderbolt SSD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kapalua12, May 22, 2013.

1. kapalua12 macrumors 6502

Wondering what the pros and cons are of each specific drive? Which do you guys like as the higher quality, faster drive?

Thanks.

2. Volkan1984 macrumors member

I would go for the LaCie in this case. It can handle some scuffs and bumps and is also quicker than the Buffalo.

3. kapalua12 thread starter macrumors 6502

The reviews on that Elgato don't look all that amazing. The price is out of line as well, and that's coming from someone who dropped $999 on the LaCie 1 TB Raid 0 SSD Little Big Disk.

4. MacRumoren macrumors member

I am considering getting the Lacie Rugged 1TB HD and swapping the drive with the Samsung EVO SSD that maxes out at 750GB, but is there a disadvantaged compared to getting the native Lacie Rugged SSD drive?

5. hologram macrumors 6502

I don't know about these specific drives, but I've been using Lacie externals for over 15 years. In all that time, I've only had 2 issues under warranty, and both were taken care of immediately.

In all the other cases, after the warranty ran out the drives kept chugging along for years. Once, when my internal drive failed, I ran my iMac from a Lacie external for 4 months while I waited for a new model iMac to come out. As a rule, I only stop using them when they become too small to be useful.

And no, I don't work for Lacie, but I trust them.:rolleyes: