Which is better? Safari or Chrome?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by FatPuppy, Aug 24, 2013.

1. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Safari or Chrome? I only have an iphone 4and I can't compare them side by side. The only thing that I have about safari is that taping a "tab" is laggy on iphne 4.

2. kaielement macrumors 65816

The only real advantage I have found with chrome on iPhone is that you are allowed as many tabs as you like. No limite to the amount of open tabs. This I found very usefull as I hate when I have to many tabs and safari starts closing some of my tabs to make room for the new tabs I have opened. I find myself using chrome way more.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

As far as rendering pages they both use the same "engine" and Safari actually has access to the faster Nitro JavaScript engine, so overall it would be faster/better in terms of actual loading and use of content. As far as browser features, that's more or less a personal preference. With iOS 7 Safari will be improved in various respects too, like no tab limits and better full screen abilities, among other things.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Better why/how?

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Dolphin is fast. Not sure if it uses Safari's engine or not, but you can have multiple tabs, voice integration, integrated bookmarks with Firefox on a computer. Dolphin also has a shortcuts page (speed dial). This is what I can think of off the top of my head.

Dolphin.

6. Neebee macrumors 6502a

I prefer Chrome only because of the synching of bookmarks. I don't like Dolphin for some reason. It just doesn't do it for me. If it would import Chrome's bookmarks, maybe. But for whatever reason the GUI of Dolphin puts me off.

7. pokenguyen macrumors member

pokenguyen

Why don't you try Mercury? Nice interface, adblock, gestures, syncing with Chrome, dowmload to Dropbox and more;)

8. Judith123 macrumors member

I totally agree with you. Actually, they are defined by personal use. If people get used to one, they will suggest other people about that one. So, there is not too much difference. Each one has each advantage.:)

9. Ann P macrumors 68020

Safari is definitely faster than Chrome but I prefer the Mercury browser.

10. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

I like safari and chrome. I tend to use dolphin as it has a private mode which saves clearing temp and historic files every so often, I'm a clean freak!

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

Don't Safari and Chrome both have private modes as well?

12. Neebee macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I'll look into Mercury. I haven't heard of it until you mentioned it.

13. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Not sure actually! Used it a lot on android so continued doing so!

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yeah, they do.

15. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

Safari is the best mobile browser ever. iCloud bookmarks sync is better than Google sync too. It just is.

16. user-name-here macrumors 65816

17. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I use Safari purely out of convenience - every link opens in it, plus all my tabs from my Mac sync over via iCloud.

18. sk1wbw macrumors 68040

sk1wbw

You can't sync bookmarks with Safari at all?

19. egoistaxx9 macrumors 6502

well, chrome is way better. but i think you should wait, there's a big safari update coming which might change your final decision.

20. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

Yes you can sync them. On Mac with Safari, and on Windows with IE. It works quite well.

As for the original question:

In iOS 6 I prefer Chrome due to the unlimited tabs and tab switching interface. But on iOS 7 Safari is IMHO much better than Chrome including ulimited tabs, a fast tab switching/preview and easy access to bookmarks with large site icons. Also iCloud keychain works like a charm.

In terms of speed, yes Safari has Nitro, but Chrome has page preloading* which compensates for the speed difference.

*By default preloading is disabled on 3G/4G and only on for WiFi but you can change that in settings.

21. sk1wbw macrumors 68040

sk1wbw

I know you can do this, but I was being sarcastic with the OP on this. It simply amazes me that people think that Google is the only one that can do anything at all.