Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macsrules

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
I am going to be buying an internal for my Mac Pro. Which is better,

1. The Seagate 1TB Baracuda?

or

2. The Western Digital 1TB

Please post which one you think is better if there are specs differences that make one better than the other be let me know?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Last I checked Seagate had a 5 yr warrenty and WD had a 3 year. May have changed so you check. I have gotten good warenty service from both companies. I mail the bad drive in they send back a new one. I'd go with the 5 year drive.

Chrysaor

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
Barracuda 7200.11 has better performance compared to WD GP drive.
WD GreenPower has the best power efficiency and is slightly quieter.
If you want to use it for storage, get WD GP. If you want performance, get Samsung SpinPoint F1.

macsrules

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
I am more worried about speed and quality of the two. If they are both pretty equal I am going to best buy, they have the 1TB on Sale for around 230 and the 500 for $103. Do you know if there is any major difference in speed?

macsrules

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Samsung SpinPoint F1,

This is the first I have heard of this drive.

I am actually taking an old G5 1.6 and turning it into my internal server. I am going to start with one drive and then add another down the road.

1. Do you think that the 1TB from Best Buy would work good in that G5 1.6 to serve up my files?

The 500 is going in my Mac Pro

macsrules

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Yea the G5 will take SATA. I really liked the sale price. I went to NewEgg and looked at the SpinPoint but the reviews are really bad, here is the link.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...rchaseMark=&VideoOnlyMark=False&=0&=10&Page=1

I am thinking that for my Mac Pro maybe the faster drive would be better since I am going to be doing Video but for the G5 maybe the WD will work??

I can get the Seagate from MacMall for 239 plus shipping but then I have to wait for it to arrive :D

Anyway, back to my original question, is there that much of a difference in the Seagate and the WD 1TB's as far as speed, or will I notice a difference when serving up files?

mperkins37

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I have 3 Seagate's inside my 2008 MacPro, Very fast Very quiet.
Got no complaints at all with their performance, or noise.
Got a 150GB WD Raptor to boot from last week & will be doing the system/software installs soon as my Adobe Master Suite arrives.
The seagate's are just fine.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.