Which is better selling on Ebay or Craigs list?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lukester, Jun 16, 2010.

1. lukester macrumors 6502

Dec 2, 2009
    Ebay has 8% back on Bing till July 31. I have a bunch of stuff I want to sell, like my 3 1/2 year old MBP.
    I know that Ebay gouges sellers but with the cash back deal it might be worth the hassle??
    Craigs list is local, more people looking for cheap items so I don't know if you can get your price. However cash is nice and no charges like ebay.
  2. xpected_one macrumors regular

Sep 23, 2008
    Sounds to me like you know the positives and negatives of both, so you kinda answered your own question?
  3. js81 macrumors 65816

Dec 31, 2008
    Kinda off subject, but I am SO GLAD to see the Bing Cashback back on eBay! Woot! :D

As for your question, you hit the nail on the head - you'll get more money on eBay, but you'll pay it back in fees. Craigslist is cash, but personally I hate dealing with people face to face. But that's just me - bulky items are much better for CL, by the way.
  4. Gaelic2 macrumors 6502

Aug 17, 2007
    Mountains of N. California
    If you word your ad with a lot of description on Craigs List, you'll get bumped off by people who have nothing better to do than play cyber cops who think you may be a dealer. All the hassle just isn't worth it.
  5. trip1ex macrumors 68000

Jan 10, 2008
  6. apatel87 macrumors regular

Mar 30, 2009
    To be honest, I use CL for all my Apple selling. I tend to buy one every year during the back to school promotion and sell it the next year before the promotion starts again. I find it much easier to do. I like getting the cash in hand and avoiding the eBay fees. It is often nerve-racking to deal with some of these people in person but i find that it often helps, especially if there are problems down the road. I sold my first macbook on ebay and the person complained about it and it turned out to be a big hassle. I find that if you sell on CL the person can be sure of the product that they are getting and are less likely to have problems because of missrepresentation. Just my 2 cents

And to add, I think it makes a difference where you are located. For example, I spend a lot of time in NH where there is no sales tax so I get my Apple products tax free but I go to school in Chicago where the tax is like 11%. I usually never lose money because many people who are not eligible for the student discount usually have to pay 1200 plus 11% tax. I get my macbook pros for $1100-$175 i usually get from the iPod touch. At the end of the day I dont lose any money. But again to emphasize I am selling in Chicago so the market is much bigger and there are more people looking. It would be different if you lived in the middle of nowhere where not as many people are looking to buy one. Good luck
  7. MacSignal macrumors regular

May 8, 2010
    If you have a bunch of gear to sell, do both.

eBay offers a larger market and a potentially more expedient sale of older equipment. You are probably right that there will be some more buying activity ahead of Bing promotion expiration.

It's free to post on CL. You risk nothing upfront except some aggravation from low-ballers and the distant relatives of Nigerian royalty. :D You can moderate some of wishful offers by going with a firm selling price.

Good luck with your sales!
  8. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

Mar 5, 2010
    Wherever I May Roam
    Personally, I've had better luck on ebay with electronics and CG for furniture and household stuff. I also use Amazon every now-and-then.